How to find a good guitar teacher?

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
any suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Check at a local music store and they usually have a list. You want to meet the teacher, too.
    If the lessons are for you, match up with someone who can teach so it'll be fun for YOU. There are a lot of different ways to learn, and usually it's a combination of:

Learning chords and fingering techniques which is fun

Learning some songs - Which is fun

Ear training, so you can recognize keys and chords. Not too much fun at first, but a bit of this and you'll have a LOT of fun playing if you can pick up a guitar and hear a song, and play it without looking up TAB all the time.

And learning where the notes are on the guitar, and scales and theory. This is something that most guitarists DON'T do and say you don't need. That's usually NOT fun, but a great thing to learn if you want to advance your playing and learning exponentially.

You probably just want to get the basics now, like some chords and technique to get you good habits right away, and that's what I'd look for. Find someone who can teach "How to practice" so you can use your time wisely.

The sam holds true if it's your a youngster. I think it's important to talk to a teacher who the kid likes, and can make it interesting. If it's not enjoyable from the start, then the student probably won't be inspired.

Have fun!!!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Learning chords and fingering techniques which is fun

Learning some songs - Which is fun

Ear training, so you can recognize keys and chords. Not too much fun at first, but a bit of this and you'll have a LOT of fun playing if you can pick up a guitar and hear a song, and play it without looking up TAB all the time.

And learning where the notes are on the guitar, and scales and theory. This is something that most guitarists DON'T do and say you don't need. That's usually NOT fun, but a great thing to learn if you want to advance your playing and learning exponentially.

You probably just want to get the basics now, like some chords and technique to get you good habits right away, and that's what I'd look for. Find someone who can teach "How to practice" so you can use your time wisely.

The sam holds true if it's your a youngster. I think it's important to talk to a teacher who the kid likes, and can make it interesting. If it's not enjoyable from the start, then the student probably won't be inspired.

Have fun!!!

well I took a lot of lessons in high school and college, so while I am WAY out of practice, I'm not starting from scratch. the guy was a good teacher, but I always wanted to focus more on the theory and ear training and never got a whole lot of that (for some reason he did teach my brother this stuff).

I don't think I'll be going for a few months, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately, my guitar is just collecting dust.
  • well I took a lot of lessons in high school and college, so while I am WAY out of practice, I'm not starting from scratch. the guy was a good teacher, but I always wanted to focus more on the theory and ear training and never got a whole lot of that (for some reason he did teach my brother this stuff).

I don't think I'll be going for a few months, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately, my guitar is just collecting dust.

shouldn't you be working on that project? ;)
    I'll scream my lungs out...'til I fill this thread!