Yellow Ledbetter Solo

Brenton.BBrenton.B Posts: 1
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys,
I've been learning to play the Yellow Ledbetter solo but there is one section in it which I'm usure how to play. It's the part where Mike holds the note
and makes it waver. All the tabs that I have found just say to use a whammy bar but I have tried this and it sounds nothing like the way it sounds on the cd (sort of too smooth or something). I was just wondering if any of you guys knew
what 'technique' is being used here or whether I'm just not using the whammy right. Oh yeah and if it helps, I'm playing on a strat.
Cheers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't think your using ur whammy bar right...use it lightly, very gentle ;)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I play that on a strat too and there is no part of it that I use a whammy bar on. I am not completely sure which part you're talking about, but there is one part where I pause on a note and do what I consider a little vibrato (not sure if that is the correct term), which is holding the note and letting it ring while slightly moving my finger up and down, which kind of changes the pitch like a whammy bar would.

I wish I could find the whammy bar that came with my strat, I just couldn't get used to using it. I don't like a wobbly bridge, so I removed the whammy bar and tightened the bridge down as much as it would go.
  • EvvoEvvo Posts: 195
    i think he means the part at 2.07 in the song. i play a tele, so i lightly wah that note. I'd love a strat though...
  • Evvo wrote:
    i think he means the part at 2.07 in the song. i play a tele, so i lightly wah that note. I'd love a strat though...
    that's got to be the part he is talking about. the answer for that is practice. i never learned that solo, but just from listening to it, i can tell you that he is using a combination of bends with his hand and the wammy. the 2.03 bend sounds like a bend with his hand and a simultaneous use of the bar as he bends the string up. 2.05 - 2.06 it sounds like the same thing but to a different extreme to give it that effect. i dont know man, just practice. but the trick is to use bends with your hand and the wammy, not just the wammy.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    dude its easy
    follow the tab on http://www.giventowail.com

once you get to hitting the 9th fret on the G string, then you hit the 11th fret then you do your 4 big whammy bar dives into the guitar

dont forget that leading up to it there is two bends and a pull off too

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99