Please tell me practicing SOLOS gets easier

ACFACF Posts: 6
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
The challenge I'm facing right now, is to learn how to play fluent, improvised and fast guitar solos. Up until now, I've only managed to "copy" solos note-per-note and this works out fine as long as things aren't going too fast. For example, the final solo in "State of Love and Trust" I find hard to figure out... I know about pentatonic scales and this has helped me a lot to improvise, but after a few bars, I always run out of inspiration...
Any hints on this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Try switching keys or using blues scales? Dunno.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    -Yes, try to get away from playing someone else's solos. You'll never have the same emotion or feeling behind the notes, even if you play the same notes exactly the way they played them (because they had a sentiment, or idea, or emotion, or feeling behind what they played that you will never ever have . . . BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT THEM).

-Take it like this, the word SOLO means ONE, or ALONE - it's a one time deal, never to be repeated. Plus it's kind of tacky to play someone else's solo note for note - They played those notes for a reason, so why not come up with your own reasons . . .

-One of the best thing you can do for yourself is learn a bit of music theory (i.e. key signatures) - Thus you know what's sharp or flat in the key you're playing in, "THIS WAY THERE'S NO TRIAL & ERROR INVOLVED," which is helpful because you know what you can play, what works and what won't work (I'll explain this in a minute).

-I'd also suggest you learn your 7-basic-MODES (in order). Learning them this way allows you to modulate keys easier. Since there are 7-notes in a typical Major or Minor scale, there are 7-basic modes to play (one for each note in the scale).
    1). Ionian [aka Major]
    2). Dorian
    3). Phrygian
    4). Lydian
    5). Mixolydian
    6). Aeolian [aka Minor]
    7). Locrian

An example would be C-Major (scale: C,D,E,F,G,A,B).
    The key of C-Major has no sharps or flats in it, so you could play (working with the scale in order): C-ionian (Major), D-dorian, E-phrygian, F-lydian, G-mixolydian, A-aeolian (minor), B-locrian.

A-Minor is the relative to C-Major (since there's no sharps or flats in either key). Therefore you can play A-aeolian (minor) in the key of C-Major.
    DO YOU SEE THE ORDER HERE???

- I'd be happy to send you over a copy of the best fingering for each mode - I give these same Mode fingerings to my students - just drop me a line if you're interested.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • what i did is learn as many solos as you can from my favorite bands, and with the licks you learn from each you start to build up an aresenal of licks, and then when you play a solo you kind of just randomly try them out until you get comfortable and you start to mush all of your influences into your own style

thats what i did, anyhow
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • I learned to improvise first, then I learned different licks. Just learn licks, and throw them together!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ACFACF Posts: 6
    These look like useful tips... I do know some licks, but I always end up playing similar things (which Mike McCready also does - I've started to notice). I don't think I will ever be able to really get into the theory as much as you, Ian! But thanks anyway...