Listen To This . . .

ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Jam10 and everyone else that has asked me about loop stations, yes I'm using a BOSS RC-20 loop station during the solo. I do a fill with it
at 1:56, but my pitiful minute and a half solo actually begins around 4:06 (I don't like my playing much, but I can't go back and change it now).

Yes, everyone has a bad day playing . . . this show was at PJ’s Coffee of New Orleans (back in March) - I'm sooo sad about my playing & looks.
Okay, I gained a ton of weight last year when my wife was pregnant - I still haven't lost any yet - I hear they call it sympathy weight gain :)
Regardless, here I am re-enacting a scene from Star Wars "Return of the Jedi" (click: Ian as Jabba-the-Hutt with a Guitar) - I'm hard on myself.
My friend Tony loves to sing (yes he has a bit of a whiney voice), but I think he does quite well considering he was in a car accident that left him a
quadriplegic (no movement from his triceps down) - most people in his situation have trouble breathing let alone singing, so I think he does quite well.
Anyhow, here you go, take a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YdckDt05sM And have a good laugh at my expense :D
Cheers . . .

- Ian
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
<b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Ian,

two things.

1) In my very best Jabba the hutt voice 'Your mind powers will not work on me boy'...

i was expecting to see something awful...

2) How awesome is Tony. Kudos to him, what an inspiration. The dude wailing away on the guitar was pretty damn fine too ;)

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Great job Ian. You are amazingly talented. Great solo. Your buddy Tony is a great singer as well. It is so inspiring listening to him sing after everything he's been through.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Ian,
    two things.
    1) In my very best Jabba the hutt voice 'Your mind powers will not work on me boy'...
    i was expecting to see something awful...
    2) How awesome is Tony. Kudos to him, what an inspiration. The dude wailing away on the guitar was pretty damn fine too ;)
    That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    Jam10 wrote:
    Great job Ian. You are amazingly talented. Great solo. Your buddy Tony is a great singer as well. It is so inspiring listening to him sing after everything he's been through.
    To reply to both of you at once,
    Thanks . . . my whole reason for posting this (other than to embarrass myself a bit & demonstrate the RC-20 Loop Station
    in practical use) was to offer encouragement to those who are just starting out playing, singing, what-have-you.
    Just keep at it, if you have a love of music you'll get there. My buddy (who's almost 20 years older than me) has done so
    much to keep going despite his situation (diversity) - and his love of music has really helped him to keep it together and
    to keep going. He can't even really hold a pen, yet he works, drives, sings, writes (on a computer), & he even graduated
    with a Degree in Creative Writing - I think he's inspiring . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YdckDt05sM
    So remember peeps . . . no complaining when your fingers ache a little from practicing your guitar :D
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    That was really cool. Thanks for sharing.
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    that was really awesome Ian. no idea what you're doing but it sure sounded good :D
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
    stylo17 wrote:
    that was really awesome Ian. no idea what you're doing but it sure sounded good :D
    Sounds like I was just playing through my modes :)
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    ianvomsaal wrote:

haha more power to you then :D

I'm still learning this so like when I see your whole hand move up the fretboard like two frets for a couple of seconds then move up another two frets it kinda loses me cause I don't understand WHY you do that.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
    stylo17 wrote:
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    haha more power to you then :D
    I'm still learning this so like when I see your whole hand move up the fretboard like two frets for a couple of
    seconds then move up another two frets it kinda loses me cause I don't understand WHY you do that.
    Once you get your modes and scales under your belt you can pick and choose bits and pieces
    from each one. Then you learn to link those bits together to play what you hear in your head.
    You basically want to be able to sing your solo (being able to play what you hear in your head
    is the main goal anyway - then it just kind of flows out of you
    ).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Nice job. Tony somewhat reminds me of Bob Dylan (messy hair included).
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    Nice job. Tony somewhat reminds me of Bob Dylan (messy hair included).
    I'll make sure I tell him when I see him (that's funny).
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nicely done Ian, sounds good having come through a tiny camera mic too.

Great demo of what you can do with a looper even if you aren't satisfied with the solo. Thanks for posting it.

Tony sounds good too. Nice looking Taylor.

you guys should definately do some Bob Dylan next time. Don't think Twice and Tangled up in Blue would be perfect :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    not bad for someone who's been playing guitar for 6 months!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    not bad for someone who's been playing guitar for 6 months!
    Uhmmm, yeah (lol) I guess if you say so (he he) ;)
    Cheers StuffnJunk (nod) . . .

- Ian
  • imnothereimnothere Posts: 15
    Ian,

Thank you much for posting your performance. You were helpful with my newbie questions in another thread. And, in a different way, it's inspiring to see you and the singer perform.

I've been working on barre chords this week. And, lookee there, I actually recognize -- and know -- one you used. Good strumming, too. Odd how I'm starting to see these things.

Thanks again for posting. Hope you'll continue to do so.
    imnothere wrote:
    Ian,

Thank you much for posting your performance. You were helpful with my newbie questions in another thread. And, in a different way, it's inspiring to see you and the singer perform.

I've been working on barre chords this week. And, lookee there, I actually recognize -- and know -- one you used. Good strumming, too. Odd how I'm starting to see these things.

Thanks again for posting. Hope you'll continue to do so.
    You're welcome - Music is literally my life (it's how I make my living), as always anything I can do to help.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    WOW Ian, I just watched that video again and really abserved everything you were doing and I am amazed. Your a great player. Please post more videos of you playing to share with all of us.
    Jam10 wrote:
    WOW Ian, I just watched that video again and really abserved everything you were doing and I am amazed. Your a great player. Please post more videos of you playing to share with all of us.
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jam10 wrote:
    you can also kick back, relax and listen, to enjoy more inspirational work from ian here clickity click

i'll show myself out now ;)
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Ian, you're awesome and Tony...wow. Spectacular. It's cool to be able to criticize yourself too. I've had many a bad times playing.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy