Has Ed blown out his voice???

ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've got a serious question . . .
I love these guys and the new album, but I was just a bit taken-aback when I heard it, because when I recorded with PJ in the mid 90's Ed didn't sound like this (I don't remember him ever sounding like this).
Does anyone know??? Is it me, or does Ed sound a little like he's slightly blown his voice out on the new album??? I read a one page interview with Mike last year that said Ed was singing better than ever on their new album, so when the album was finally released I was surprised how raspy and throaty he sounded (I guess it's just not what I'm used to hearing).
Does anyone know if Ed's vocal cords are okay???
Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
<b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i know that back when i never recorded with pearl jam that ed told me once that his vocal chords are his own private affair....seriously.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • i know that back when i never recorded with pearl jam that ed told me once that his vocal chords are his own private affair....seriously.

Absolutely agree... and just listened to "Not for you" and "World Wide Suicide" back to back. He is still going strong. This is a fan site. Don't understand the reason behind the first post.
  • sandozsandoz Posts: 166
    Ed's vocal cords are okay.

the doc
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    If only he'd quit smoking, the voice would have a chance.
  • why can this forum discuss the tones,guitars and guitar,bass and drumming styles of the various members of the band but when someone wants to discuss ed's instrument.......his vocals,someone says it's his (ed's) "private affair"?

it seems like a legitimate post to me.

personally,i think his singing style goes well with the heavier punky vibe of this record,and feel it's an effect he is able to create from within.

cornell on the other hand........he is someone i have wondered whether or not his chords are blown out.he doesnt seem able to sing clean when the song calls for it,unlike ed,who can still nail everything right on as the song dictates.

i think all one has to do is listen to some versions of black from this past tour,and hear how he carries out the last word in this line at times,"why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?",and it's pretty clear his vocals are very much alive and well.
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    I'm sure he's had to change how he sings...he's not in his 20's anymore and I'm sure he had to change his approach in order to keep his voice as strong as it is. Look at Cobain, I read somewhere that the docs told him if he was to continue singing he would have to change his voice...granted his vocal cords really are blo...never mind.

But i think Ed's voice is still just as powerful now, it's not the raw edge it once was, but he's still got "it"
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • i think he only suffers in the power. his tone and head voice are still really nice, he just lacks the EXTREME power when he needs it. mind you they dont play festivals where you need to kick your own ass just to get the 75,000 people moving.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I think Ed's voice was the most shot on the 95 tour, and it has actually improved on the 03-06 tours when compared to the 98 and 00 tours.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • evilbobevilbob Posts: 37
    the unseen wrote:
    cornell on the other hand........he is someone i have wondered whether or not his chords are blown out.he doesnt seem able to sing clean when the song calls for it

I thought that too until I listened to his recent Swedish solo accoustic show.
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    Its called growing up
    grimmy
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    GRIMMY wrote:
    Its called growing up

yeh its been 16 years !

Hmm he tends to be more screachy now :( really isn't a nice sound
  • In my opinion, as all the greatest singers, Ed turned his voice in a better way, just as you expect after years and years of experience in singing..recording..etc.. In the new album I hear a band with so much experience and wiseness... "Pearl jam" has a very very good sound..voice and instruments.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Yesterday I contributed coffee posts on three different forums: porch, poetry, and AET. I've seen your exact question on Porch, but I've still got you beat. Once you put it on Words and Communications then maybe you'll be as focused on your subject as me on mine;)

I answered this question in Porch already, and I thought my answer was very sophisticated, and well thought out. I researched my subject, and wrote a coherent analysis.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=220757
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Yes, Eddie has blown out his voice compared to 96 and 98 from all the screaming he did. He can't scream like he used to be able to.

But Ed has a different voice in the present era (05-06), and he has taken that voice into something new. And the new "voice" is still fuckin great. He can't scream like he used to, but when he throws in his screams here and there, they sound great...He can sing those quiet songs better than fuckin EVER...Black, Indifferent, Footsteps, etc
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    evilbob wrote:
    I thought that too until I listened to his recent Swedish solo accoustic show.

That is AMAZING! One of my favourites right now.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V