Mike McCready's Effects (is there an order)???

ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay . . . according to the Mike McCready "Signal Flow Diagram," Mike's effects on his pedal board are:
Dunlop UniVibe, Dunlop 535 Crybaby, Boss DD3 Delay, MXR Phase-90, Ernie Ball Volume/Pan, & an Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer into either his clean or dirty amps.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:
Are Mike's effects actually wired up this way, or are they wired in a different order??? The reason I ask is that you usually want your GUITAR'S signal to run through effects in an order like this:
1. GUITAR into WIRELESS, into
2. VOLUME, to
3. WAH, then
4. COMPRESSION, then
5. OVERDRIVE/DISTORTION, then through any
6. MODULATION (phases, chorus, flanges, ect), then
7. DELAYS (delays, loops, reverbs, ect).
8. Splitters to Amps

Okay, this is if you're not using an effects loop.
The way that it's stated in "SIGNAL FLOW," Mike's Overdrive is at the end of the signal path, directly before his amps, which is unusual since you typically don't put overdrive/distortion before modulations and delays????

I use my amps effects loop so that I can use my amps Overdrive/Distortion, and my Overdrive/Distortion Pedals separately and together. Therefore I run my guitars signal into my: Volume, Wah, Compression, Overdrive/Distortion, to the INPUT on my Amp.
Then I run my Modulations and Delays through the amps effects loop. Sure it takes a couple more cables, but you get an overall better sound.

"What is the 'ACTUAL ORDER' of Mike's Pedals????????"

Cheers . . . Ian C.T. vom Saal
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
<b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• well most of those pedals he shelved for the line 6 "four" series boxes. Here is the order most likely:

he has his wireless into his wah, into an overdrive, then his hughes and ketner rotosphere. They after that he has some rotating pedal stock that changes often, then following that he has his MM-4 modulations running into his DL-4 Delays, then after that he occaisonally has a pedal for whatever cause. He switches it up quite often but those pedals are found 90% of the time in that order.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I have my modulation pedal and wah when they are in there before my OD/Dist strait in the amp because my wah and modulation destroy the quality of the tone when placed afterward, before them they sound great.

Delay and Reverb are after everything but then, I've taken the delay out, so now it goes.... Strat - Uniphase - Wah - Direct Drive (or pedal of the month) - EGDM - Digiverb - Orange.

I don't know that there is a real right or wrong it just depends on how different pedals react to thier placement. My wah demands to be before OD/dist/fuzz as does the Uniphase.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Bump
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I posted this back in 2006, and I wasn't asking about what order to place my pedals in (I know pedal order, duh),
    I was asking about McCready’s current pedal order (because he sometimes doesn't do things as traditionally
    as say the rest of us). Anyhow, I'm glad to see that you can dig something up from October 2006 using the
    search function . . . and yes, it would be nice if " SEARCH " was used more often by people.

- Ian

btw, Novawind - I have that book :)
    And thanks to sennin for the more recent pic.
    I reference people to that pic from time to time when they ask about Mikes board.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I posted this back in 2006, and I wasn't asking about what order to place my pedals in (I know pedal order, duh),
    I was asking about McCready’s current pedal order (because he sometimes doesn't do things as traditionally
    as say the rest of us). Anyhow, I'm glad to see that you can dig something up from October 2006 using the
    search function . . . and yes, it would be nice if " SEARCH " was used more often by people.

- Ian

I reference people to that pic from time to time when they ask about Mikes board.

:Dhttp://www.giventowail.com generally has some reasonably current pics available no matter when you are looking for.

http://www.giventowail.com/gearlist.php?who=mike&what=all

kind of boring really.. :D I think he should add a HOG.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:

- Ian

Ian,

I know that you know this stuff. My point was that it is a thread containing the information being requested by so many people lately. I wasn't including you, or any of the OPs of these older posts as the people that repetitively ask the same question.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...