A Session Guitarists Rebuttal - Whats Happening To This Forum?

ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay,
I typically have to deal with a bunch of whinny musicians on most of the days that I'm in the studio, and I usually
come to this forum to relax, maybe blow off some steam, and chat with reasonably nice folks about gear and what-not.

This forum has kind of pissed me off lately ("PJ Gurls" not the only one on this Forum that this has happened to).
I've ALSO received a few messages from people that I've never seen on this "Musicians and Gearheads" forum (basically
calling me out, or telling me that I'm full of shit about doing what I do, or about me being a session artist, etc, etc,
from people that don't seem to have anything else better to do with their time than try to start an argument
).

I honestly don't have to be here (I choose to be), and I'm about done with the blatant contentious posts from people
on here that just seem to be looking to start an argument (is it me, or does this seem to be happening a lot lately).

Anyhow, I think I might take a break from this site for a while (maybe wait these jerks out, and possibly come back in
a month or so when they've moved on, or hopefully been banned from the forum after they piss enough people off).
Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
<b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm sorry dude. I can't speak for everyone on this site but you've helped me a lot with learning my equipment and figuring out what to buy. You're correct, there's a lot of bullshit on this page but I wanna thank you for all the stuff you've done. PJ Gurl too, she's helped and she's very outspoken on this site. On don't know who all the people are who think you're full of shit but from someone who ONLY comes here for direction and takes it all to heart, thank you.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Okay,
    I typically have to deal with a bunch of whinny musicians on most of the days that I'm in the studio, and I usually
    come to this forum to relax, maybe blow off some steam, and chat with reasonably nice folks about gear and what-not.

This forum has kind of pissed me off lately ("PJ Gurls" not the only one on this Forum that this has happened to).
    I've ALSO received a few messages from people that I've never seen on this "Musicians and Gearheads" forum (basically
    calling me out, or telling me that I'm full of shit about doing what I do, or about me being a session artist, etc, etc,
    from people that don't seem to have anything else better to do with their time than try to start an argument
    ).

I honestly don't have to be here (I choose to be), and I'm about done with the blatant contentious posts from people
    on here that just seem to be looking to start an argument (is it me, or does this seem to be happening a lot lately).

Anyhow, I think I might take a break from this site for a while (maybe wait these jerks out, and possibly come back in
    a month or so when they've moved on, or hopefully been banned from the forum after they piss enough people off).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

I think the key point is that the ignorant posts and PM's are coming from people that don't ever post on this section of the forum. So I say f*ck 'em. We all know each other here and back each other up when necessary (as PJ_Gurl did for you, and a bunch of people once did for her when she got called out on something a while back). We're like a community. When unwanted people come in, we have the power to run them out by ganging up on them. Negativity usually gets noticed and dealt with in forums.

I won't lie... I get tired of the M&G section sometimes. You could tell when I recently responded to the "Show your equipment" thread to "Please use the search function" that it was finally getting to me. I feel like every other day, I see a new thread about whether to get an Epi LP or Fender Strat, or What order to put pedals in, or 3 robot guitar threads in 2 weeks, or What songs does Mike play a strat/Lp on? BY THE WAY, I DON'T MEAN TO OFFEND ANY OF THE PEOPLE THAT STARTED THESE THREADS. It just becomes redundant. I'm equally as guilty. My escape = TheGearPage. I read a lot more there than I post.

All in all, we respect each other and appreciate the input that we give each other. For what it's worth Ian, I don't doubt you, and I don't think many of the normal guys (and gals ;) ) here do. Once you start taking things too seriously, you lose all fun. It's a forum. They call you out. You know that their wrong and you're right... so you win. Laugh it up.

*Tear* I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Thanks for all the love, help, support, advice over the last 18 months. You guys are awesome.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I agree man, your advice is always amazing. I read a lot more than I post here, but when I see your name at the top of a post its guaranteed to be full of great info. So stick around!
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    when I see your name at the top of a post its guaranteed to be full of great info. So stick around!
    Agreed.

This board is still probably the chillest part of the forum though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    All in all, we respect each other and appreciate the input that we give each other. For what it's worth Ian, I don't doubt you, and I don't think many of the normal guys (and gals ;) ) here do. Once you start taking things too seriously, you lose all fun. It's a forum. They call you out. You know that their wrong and you're right... so you win. Laugh it up.

*Tear* I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Thanks for all the love, help, support, advice over the last 18 months. You guys are awesome.

that's an awesome post, you said it all right there.

i defended ian earlier this week because, as a regular reader/poster in this forum, i see and appreciate the huge contribution he makes. it will be our loss if he does take a break.

when i read spencers reply to my post in the session guitarist thread,

'Just because Ian might be a phenomenal guitarist (I wouldn't know, I haven't listened to the samples but I'm happy to take your word for it), doesn't really prove much - nor does the fact that I don't post in this forum very often..

i realized that he didn't want to share in ian's talents and knowledge the same way a lot of us here do. and that's ok. for every one of him that don't there is prolly 50 that do. i realized my post to him was pointless. he was never gonna check out his myspace or listen to his tunes. i'm still a bit intrigued as to why he would 'take my word for it' but not ian's though. that confused me.

note to all the negative people...go fascinate someone else.

that is all.
  • exactly why I pretty much stick to TGP.

Although I see some of our usuals over there, I typically ask them the questions on here :)

I see Pac, enharmonic, JofZ....I'm more of a linger over there but the info is there!

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • I'm sorry for the negativeness your recieveing. It's just how people are. And I think it's probably not the regulars doing it either.

Then again most of the regulars don't really seem to be around much any more. I don't post that much, but man it seems like I'll come on once a week and there is nothing new on here.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    there's definitely been a lot more dick swinging in general so i've kinda drifted away too into some of the diy effects boards as that's my primary area of interest right now.