What Do You Think Of This Clip????

ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'd been meaning to do a Steve Vai tune for years (just for kicks). By now most of you know that I'm more into Rock, Blues, and Fusion.
I rarely play like this (unless I'm being paid to, and thankfully that's not to often), but I figured it'd be a challenge all the same. And yes,
honestly, it was quite difficult. I had a blast trying to play like this, but I won't be doing anything like this again for quite a while - it's just
too difficult to maintain the technique. Anyhow, after a huge struggle to get the technique down enough to even attempt (and after
programing the stupid backing, drums, and synth on a workstation), I recorded a Steve Vai song - kind of a tribute - it's NOT exactly like
his version (I did take some liberties with the melody at times), but it's a fairly close try after many many many multiple takes.
Let me know what do you think??? I named it "for the love of Vai, God This Was Hard" -- My PUN on the original title "for the love of god."
click here: What Do You Think Of This Clip???? . . . Honestly.
Cheers . . .

- Ian
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
<b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, it's certainly well done. it's far beyond my skill set and i don't really listen to much in that style so i can't really comment on anything else. skillz for sure.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Very melodic and really liked your feel. I liked how it started off with a pretty basic melody and as it progressed, the phrasing got a lot more complex but still kept to the original theme. Was feeling the tone as well. Nice! What set up did you use?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    By the way... we need some more audio clips/youtube videos from forum members on here.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Very melodic and really liked your feel. I liked how it started off with a pretty basic melody and as it progressed, the phrasing got a lot more complex but still kept to the original theme. Was feeling the tone as well. Nice! What set up did you use?
    I borrowed a JEM7V (not my normal guitar - I really hate those kinds of bridges), through a Marshall JCM800 half stack.
    I ran my pedalboard through the FX-loop + a Steve Vai Bad Horsie Wah (for the sake of authenticity).
    I used multiple mics (six) placed all over the room (in front of the cab and behind) to try and get a bigger sound - it sorta worked.
    Everything was recorded with ProTools in a Macbook (with multiple multiple takes to get things acceptable - I almost gave it up).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Everything was recorded with ProTools in a Macbook (with multiple multiple takes to get it right - I almost gave it up).

Well the final product sure sounded like it was worth the trouble.
    Well the final product sure sounded like it was worth the trouble.
    Thanks - it sure took me long enough to get the tune to a point where I didn’t feel like I could take it
    any further, so I guess it was an acceptable attempt.
    BUMPeroonie
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Well, in some parts I couldn't help thinking you'd uploaded the Vai version :D

I love 'For The Love Of God', I've been trying to learn it on and off for a while now, but I just get too lazy.

What can I say? Excellent playing, sweet tone, thumbs up!

Oh, and if I may ask: What did you record with Pearl Jam? (I was reading through your MySpace profile...)
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
    Yielded wrote:
    Well, in some parts I couldn't help thinking you'd uploaded the Vai version :D I love 'For The Love Of God', I've been trying to learn it on and off for a while now, but I just get too lazy. What can I say? Excellent playing, sweet tone, thumbs up!
    Funny, yeah I've had engineers record me, and then when I walk back into the booth for mixing they jokingly say "did you just walk in
    there and hit play or something, where's the CD :D." One of my bigger hangups is that I sometimes practice things too much before I
    record them (which in-turn results in losing some of the expression and feeling when recorded). Another good example of this is a lot
    of Eric Johnson’s playing. He's soo technically tight that much of what he plays seems to loose something when he plays the tune live.
    Thanks for the commends - it took a bit to get it sounding like that (too long).
    Oh, and if I may ask: What did you record with Pearl Jam? (I was reading through your MySpace profile...)
    I was lucky enough to record a tune with PJ in late 1996 (though admittedly I've never heard the tune on anything).
    Unfortunately I can't tell you what tune it is because I don't know myself. The song might be on a B-side or
    something, but more than likely it was just never used (luckily I just happened to be working in the studio that week).
    I like to call that time period my "studio troll" days because I basically lived in the studios (like that was soo long ago :)
    I got to spend two different days with them (though for only about an hour each day). Ed seemed to be having some
    vocal trouble the 1st day, so they had to come back the next day (he seemed to be struggling enough with his
    voice that they just asked if they could come back the following day to finish up) - I don't think he wanted anyone
    hearing him squawk and hack so much, so he just called it a day. I think he quit smoking for a while after that.
    I know he's back smoking again, so I figure he's bound to have some problems again, just give it time. I've gone
    over this enough on here that I'm kind of tired of recounting it - please just look it up if you want more info.
    Anyhow, I hope this sort of answers your question.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I was lucky enough to record a tune with PJ in late 1996 (though admittedly I've never heard the tune on anything).
    Unfortunately I can't tell you what tune it is because I don't know myself. The song might be on a B-side or
    something, but more than likely it was just never used (luckily I just happened to be working in the studio that week).
    I like to call that time period my "studio troll" days because I basically lived in the studios (like that was soo long ago :)
    I got to spend two different days with them (though for only about an hour each day). Ed seemed to be having some
    vocal trouble the 1st day, so they had to come back the next day (he seemed to be struggling enough with his
    voice that they just asked if they could come back the following day to finish up) - I don't think he wanted anyone
    hearing him squawk and hack so much, so he just called it a day. I think he quit smoking for a while after that.
    I know he's back smoking again, so I figure he's bound to have some problems again, just give it time. I've gone
    over this enough on here that I'm kind of tired of recounting it - please just look it up if you want more info.
    Anyhow, I hope this sort of answers your question.

Cool story, thanks for telling it :)

Rock on!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Thanks - it sure took me long enough to get the tune to a point where I didn’t feel like I could take it
    any further, so I guess it was an acceptable attempt.

acceptable attempt?

Understatement of the year. The tone was to die for. Loved it. It was brilliant.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • I really enjoyed that.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    If I wasn't told I would have though it was Mr. Vai....very well played
  • I to don't really follow that style at all, but you definately got what you were shooting for. Good job.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/