Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion

Leo86Leo86 Posts: 165
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I currently have an Ibanez Ts-9 tubescreamer, and am wondering whether the Maxon SD-9 will give me more distortion, or is it similar.

I was thinking of getting the SD-9 to use as a distortion pedal and then combining it with the TS-9 for solos. Would these two work well together? Or what other distortion pedals would be better?

(These are to go through a tube amp)

Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciated.
Dublin 23/08/06
Wembley 18/06/07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    They work fantastically well together.

the SD9 is the mean older brother of the TS9. It should work excellent as you describe infront of the majority of tube amps you will find.

A proco Rat (vintage or rat2 provided they have the LM308 chip in them) are also legendary matches with the TS9
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • SD9 + TS9 + Marshall JCM 800 or 900 = Stone Gossard's early 90's tone
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Leo86Leo86 Posts: 165
    Thanks, so can I get a pretty rich distortion from using them together?
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Leo86 wrote:
    Thanks, so can I get a pretty rich distortion from using them together?

yes, yes you can, although it will take you a little bit of knob twisting (including the amp knobs) to find exactly the right tone you want, you can achieve a very thick distortion tone using that setup.

This is called stacking, or gain stacking. Essentially you are combining two gain "stages" before your signal goes to the amps preamp. Some also refer to this in single pedals or amps as cascading gain. You are running two stages toegther. I generally run the first pedal as a boost for clarity and get most of the distortion from the distortion but you can play with that too actually for more saturated tone.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Leo86Leo86 Posts: 165
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yes, yes you can, although it will take you a little bit of knob twisting (including the amp knobs) to find exactly the right tone you want, you can achieve a very thick distortion tone using that setup.

This is called stacking, or gain stacking. Essentially you are combining two gain "stages" before your signal goes to the amps preamp. Some also refer to this in single pedals or amps as cascading gain. You are running two stages toegther. I generally run the first pedal as a boost for clarity and get most of the distortion from the distortion but you can play with that too actually for more saturated tone.

Excellent, thanks a lot for the info! I'm guna buy one!
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07