Guitar right hand questions!!!

BridgeyBabeBridgeyBabe Posts: 159
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi all...

New to Pearl Jam and also new to playing a guitar :)

I've been trying to learn "I am mine", the chords I can cope with (I have an easy version of the song :) basic D - F - C - G thing!) but how do I strum it to make it sound better than it is right now?

Would I be better listening to the song to try and pick out what I need to do?

Any tips would be much appreciated - oh and I am a complete beginner, still getting round renumbering my fingers having played the piano for years which is different numbering!

Thanks
O gifted men, vainglorious for first place,
how short a time the laurel crown stays green

A breath of wind is all there is to fame
here upon earth: it blows this way and that,
and when it changes quarter it changes name.
-Dante
Dublin 23/08/2006
Leeds 25/08/2006
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Strum lighty. Be loose. Have fun. Make sure you press firmly on the strings. Also, if you want to be a good player, take my advice-LEARN YOUR SCALES AND BASIC CHORDS!!!!! I am paying for that dearly right now because when I go to jam sessions, I have to watch the people, I can't play a chord when they yell it out because I have no idea what they mean, also, don't use your thumb (like me) on power chords. I am also having to pay for that too. Anyway, good luck and I hope this proves to help you-even a little.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • practice every day, and after about six years it will start to sound good

seriously, when i started playing, i asked guitar players who i thought were good how long thet'd been playing and they all seemed to say 6 years or so..........and then when i finally started to think i sounded good and was really confident of playing in front of others, i realized i had been playing for - 6 YEARS!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Personally, I would suggest trying to play along to the CD to get the right feel.

The best advice on playing generally (as I'm sure you're aware, being a pianist) is practice, practice and more practice.
    Brixton Academy, London: 14/07/93
    Wembley Arena, London: 29/10/96
    MEN Arena, Manchester: 04/06/00
    Air Canada Centre, Toronto: 05/10/00
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf: 21/06/07

Brad: Phoenix Theatre, Toronto: 31/10/02
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Yeah, definatley play along with the cd. Actually thats a good way to learn how to play by ear...