Playing Betterman out tonight.

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm pretty excited. We got a last minute call to fill in at a band promotion night tonight, just a half hour set, and Betterman made the cut.
This will be my first time playing a PJ song out.
Wish me luck !! I'm gonna need it. WE are doing a bunch of neew stuff for us, and I'm solid on somer of it, but feel a bit thaky on some too. Never mind, no-one is going to lose an eye. They have chicken wire !!
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Lee MLee M Posts: 142
    It's a really fun song to play. Enjoy it, and best of luck!
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    just remember

SAVE IT FOR LATER!
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Good luck! It's a really fun song to play and take your time with it like Ed does!
  • Jam10 wrote:
    Good luck! It's a really fun song to play and take your time with it like Ed does!

Thanks for the reminder to take it slow, I'll do that.
  • Thanks for the reminder to take it slow, I'll do that.
    I find thats the hardest thing to do live.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I find thats the hardest thing to do live.

Yeah, when I read Jam10's post, I could see me rushing it, so I really appreciated the tip. I play the intro by myself, as per Ed, so I have the chance to slow things down and set the pace.
    I'll take that as a general reminder to Breathe !!
    Ironic, as we'll be doing Harder to Breathe first, followed by Betterman.
    I'm pretty chill about most of the list, but Are You Going My Way by Lenny Kravitz is a bit tiring for me, and I'm still winging the solo. I have the first half down, but the second half is still a work in progress. Ah well, wheedle, wheedle, here we come !!
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Good luck and have fun! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • You have probably already played by now so let us know how you made out.
  • Well, I made it through, but it was not my best night.
    I turned up early, and wandered up to check out the stage set-up. The guy who runs it came up, and as a greeting, started ranting about needing to turn amps down and stage volume etc. I nearly just bailed at that point.
    Anyway, we wanted to be on first, so we could have an early night, so as soon as we were all there, we set up and started.
    I didn't turn up too loud, to appease the dude, and consequently, as soon as the drummer kicked in, I could barely hear myself.
    Played Betterman second, and did OK. I remembered to slow down and breathe and I played it OK, but I was not buzzing.
    I realised that I had too many clean tone songs, and I'm not really a clean tone player. I would have been happier with a gritty or overdriven tone.
    I was really woprried about the lst song, the Lenny Kravitz, but once the distortion was on, I was happier, and played well, even cruised through the solo easily.
    I think that will be my last band thing for a while. head is not in the right place, and I want to go back to music being a release, not a pressure.
  • Well, I made it through, but it was not my best night.
    I turned up early, and wandered up to check out the stage set-up. The guy who runs it came up, and as a greeting, started ranting about needing to turn amps down and stage volume etc. I nearly just bailed at that point.
    Anyway, we wanted to be on first, so we could have an early night, so as soon as we were all there, we set up and started.
    I didn't turn up too loud, to appease the dude, and consequently, as soon as the drummer kicked in, I could barely hear myself.
    Played Betterman second, and did OK. I remembered to slow down and breathe and I played it OK, but I was not buzzing.
    I realised that I had too many clean tone songs, and I'm not really a clean tone player. I would have been happier with a gritty or overdriven tone.
    I was really woprried about the lst song, the Lenny Kravitz, but once the distortion was on, I was happier, and played well, even cruised through the solo easily.
    I think that will be my last band thing for a while. head is not in the right place, and I want to go back to music being a release, not a pressure.
    To be fair, I think keeping stage volume down is a MUST!!! And this coming from a guitar player, I'd much rather let the PA do the work!

The drummer's play to loud which in turn makes the guitarist play too loud etc...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • To be fair, I think keeping stage volume down is a MUST!!! And this coming from a guitar player, I'd much rather let the PA do the work!

The drummer's play to loud which in turn makes the guitarist play too loud etc...

Yeah, no argument there, but I was TOO low, and I kinda resented the guy digging me, cos I have played there a few times, and not once been guilty of turning up too loud. And I had a fold-back, but was not getting enough of myself through that. It's the kinda of multi-band night, where you get a few minutes to set up, with no sound check. What I should have done, was plug a pedal board into a clean channel. But I don't have a dirt pedal, cos I don't usually need one.
    I went after work, and didn't want Lola sitting in teh car all day, so I left her at home. I would have been much happer playing the clean stuff through her.
    Anyway, no-one lost an eye, and I learnt from it, that's the main thing.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I absolutely agree with you about this. I know how much you love to play, and there's no way it's enjoyable if you have that added pressure and you are doing something that just doesn't feel right.

Ps.. Did you use your new baby? ;)
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    I absolutely agree with you about this. I know how much you love to play, and there's no way it's enjoyable if you have that added pressure and you are doing something that just doesn't feel right.

Ps.. Did you use your new baby? ;)

Yeah, I did, but I really should have taken Lola for Betterman. I really missed the feel and the tone she would have given me. I really cocked up the amp settings, but I couldn't test them. The blue goddess, Cleo, did a good job wiht everything else though.
    Yeah, I did, but I really should have taken Lola for Betterman. I really missed the feel and the tone she would have given me. I really cocked up the amp settings, but I couldn't test them. The blue goddess, Cleo, did a good job wiht everything else though.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. People in the crowd prolly didn't even realize. We are our own worst critics hey. God i love lola. Have i told you that before? Yar i know, it must be annoying, but seriously that is my dream guitar.
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Don't be too hard on yourself. People in the crowd prolly didn't even realize. We are our own worst critics hey. God i love lola. Have i told you that before? Yar i know, it must be annoying, but seriously that is my dream guitar.

I know, but hey, we all do it.
    Na, I don't think you've mentioned liking Lola before.
    I'm always a bit confused about where you live. Sometimes I think Oz, but then you talk about being in places in the US.
    If it's the USA, you really have to catch Joe Bonamassa, then you will see R9's just like Lola having the snot played out of them.
    I know, but hey, we all do it.
    Na, I don't think you've mentioned liking Lola before.
    I'm always a bit confused about where you live. Sometimes I think Oz, but then you talk about being in places in the US.
    If it's the USA, you really have to catch Joe Bonamassa, then you will see R9's just like Lola having the snot played out of them.
    Born and raized in Australia. Hence my great love for Powderfinger, Darren Middleton, TLE and Chris Cheney, ohh and Maton guitars ;). The US is where my heart and home has been for a few years now.

Joe Bonamassa is one cool monkey. Very very cool.
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Born and raized in Australia. Hence my great love for Powderfinger, Darren Middleton, TLE and Chris Cheney, ohh and Maton guitars ;). The US is where my heart and home has been for a few years now.

Joe Bonamassa is one cool monkey. Very very cool.

There ya go, had to be something like that.
    There is a neat thread on the gear page at present showing some of Joe's gear from his current tour.
    I'm starting to GAS for a Carol-Ann amp, probably a Tucana.
    I want to finish my music room first though, and lose some winter poundage, so it can wait. More gear will not make my life better at this point.
    There ya go, had to be something like that.
    There is a neat thread on the gear page at present showing some of Joe's gear from his current tour.
    I'm starting to GAS for a Carol-Ann amp, probably a Tucana.
    I want to finish my music room first though, and lose some winter poundage, so it can wait. More gear will not make my life better at this point.
    Cheers for that, i'll check it out. And yes, spring there, going into summer. Mmm awesome.