12 string criminal and other things

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I took teh plunge and bought a 12 string. I ended up going with a Breedlove Atlas mahogany/spruce, similar to this
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=3681
It was a good price, nice case and internal adjustable bridge bracing.
It sounds very nice, and I've had some fun playing Wild Horse, Wish You Were Here and other 12 string classics. It was cheaper than the Maton, and has a less bulky neck, which suited my hand better.
I also tagged an MXR Phase 90, which I thought I needed for a Lenny kravitz song, but turns out that sound is a flanger, not a phaser, doh !! Never mind, it's goosd to have and comes in handy for Gilmour tones as well. Ther eis an Ibanez/Maxon flanger cheap from the same seller, so I will snag that soon or I wil get a Dano Hash Brown.
Finally, after listening to the great advice here, I have ordered a TC Nova delay unit, which should be here in a few days. I amlost piked and went for the cheaper Boss DD-20, but the sight of the same graphics as every cheap digital BOSS product made my blood run cold. The idea of superior converters sold me as did the "play to set the tempo" feature.
I'm quite excited to get thtis, as there a a whole bunch of songs that need accurate digital delay settings, which ijust could not nail with my analogue delay. I'll still use it for ambience and lead tone, as it is so nice. Thanks to the people who gave me all the great advice there, I really appreciate it.

The sudden pedal madness is because of my covers band. You need to cover so many bases, that a huge pedal board is unavoidable, unless you can stand a multi-effects unit, which I can't.
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Congrats on the purchase!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Grats on those. You're sure to have a lot of fun (especially since I think you just doubled your effects inventory? haha). My only complaint about the Phase 90 when I had one was that there's no level/depth/mix control, just the speed. Sometimes it would have been nice to have a nice light phase. Next phaser/modulation pedal I get will have that.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Novawind wrote:
    Grats on those. You're sure to have a lot of fun (especially since I think you just doubled your effects inventory? haha). My only complaint about the Phase 90 when I had one was that there's no level/depth/mix control, just the speed. Sometimes it would have been nice to have a nice light phase. Next phaser/modulation pedal I get will have that.

Yeah, it's pretty simple, but I'm jiggy widdat.
    I have had a bit of an effects explosion.
    I now have

H&K Replex, analogue delay and reverb
    H&K Rotosphere
    Ernie BAll Junior volume pedal
    Teese Picture wah
    Planet Waves pedal strobe tuner
    MXR Phaser
    Fulltone Supa-trem, which I was having a ball with last night
    I had a Digitech whammy, but it died, and sounded like digital cheese anyway.

so I'm going to re-do a board to tidy it all up and tie everythign down so I can take it out to band rehersal. A powered board would be nice, but the H&K stuff needs 12 volts, and have their own special wall warts for that. I could leave them at home, but that seems like a waste. Maybe some research at lunchtime to see what boards are out there.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Nice lucy, how do you like the picture wah? I was thinking about getting one eventually after some other stuff. Kinda poor right now since I just got a Hotplate, an RC-20xl, and a pedaltrain pro pedalboard.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Luv the Picture wah, seriously !!
    It has a nice sweep and great quack, and a boost pot to avoid tone suck.
    I'm still learnign the dance of the wah, esp on Sweet Child, but generally I get nice effects from it these days. It's a subtle thing, wah !
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Congrats on the purchase Lucy!
  • 12 strings are fantastic for sure. Congrats!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/