What are you wood-shedding ?

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Being a perpetual wood shedder, I am alwas trying to extend my playing range, eternally worrying at the edges of what I can play and what I can't.

Songs that are a work in progress.........

Sweet Child solo, the fast ascending bridge part ( which I have to re-learn, since I leanrt if from a magazine transcription originally, which was WRONG!), and the last part, which I nearly have down after a long time.

Orion, second solo

Master of Puppets, second solo which is evilly fast, but I'm getting there

Canon Rock, my young student wants me to teach him this, so I have to learn it, and it's fun.

Civil War, solos and interludes

Paradise City, intro and verse riff

Don't Tread on Me - intro and verse riffs

Wherever We May Roam, started looking at the outro solo, cos I play the main one, but have never lookd at the outro

One - will I ever finish with this song ?? Maybe in my next life. I need glasses to read the tab, and maybe then I'll finish learning the pesky tapping pattern.

Not much PJ in there at present, sounds sad, btu I've found that when I play too much PJ, my playing deteriorates. Lotsa Gunners and Metallica cos there is just so much material there and great transcriptions.

What are others learning ??
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Anything I can with my new lady...

Belaireside.jpg
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    enharmonic wrote:
    Anything I can with my new lady...

Belaireside.jpg

Now see that is pure class. I am a total sucker for semi-hollow bodies. I can't quite make out the name on the headstock though. Have we met this gal before ?
    Total versatility in a beauty like that.

I was doodling throught the Led Zep III book today and ran across "Thank You" which called for 12 string electric, which had me suddenly longing for a Duesenberg Black Cat 12. She reminds me of guitars quite a lot. There is on on the wall in the shop next to work.
    I feel a GAS attack coming on, but I'm determined my next music buy will be a new hi-fi rig with outstanding speakers, and a turntable.
    Now see that is pure class. I am a total sucker for semi-hollow bodies. I can't quite make out the name on the headstock though. Have we met this gal before ?
    Total versatility in a beauty like that.

Not sure if I made the formal introduction here on the PJ board. I know that I talked about it a bit, but I haven't been doing much talking since receiving it. Too busy playing :)

It's a Motorave BelAire, built by Mark Fuqua. You can check out his work at http://www.motorave.com
    enharmonic wrote:
    Not sure if I made the formal introduction here on the PJ board. I know that I talked about it a bit, but I haven't been doing much talking since receiving it. Too busy playing :)

It's a Motorave BelAire, built by Mark Fuqua. You can check out his work at http://www.motorave.com

Nice. I seem to recall you mentioning this before now.
    Did you go with the TV Jones Filtertrons ?? That's what in my Gretsch, and I think they are superb pups.
    I like the idea of hand-built custom specials costing at least as much as a decent production guitar. Doesn't seem right that they should be less.
    You certainly seem to be a discerning player.
    Thanks! I've been through a lot of guitars to figure out what works best for me. This guitar has the "formula" for lack of a better word.

Good eye on the pickups, too. They are TV Jones TV-Trons. Something about the way Filtertrons react in a semi-hollow guitar is just magic to my ears :)
    enharmonic wrote:
    Thanks! I've been through a lot of guitars to figure out what works best for me. This guitar has the "formula" for lack of a better word.

Good eye on the pickups, too. They are TV Jones TV-Trons. Something about the way Filtertrons react in a semi-hollow guitar is just magic to my ears :)

Yeah, those pups look a little different to the Filtertrons in my Gretsch, a littel wider and flatter, and no fillister heads by the looks. Could just be the pics too. The tones, I agree, are jsut killer, and through pretty much any amp. I was playing Violet through the Lonestar yesterday, and teh OD channel was just growling wonderfully. It's pretty much the only guit I use the middle pup position on too.
    Does it have a sustain block like an ES ?
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I've tried the Sweet Child solo and I can do it up until that fast ascending part. My fingers just don't move that fast, at least not yet. It's gonna take me many years before I get anywhere close to the speed Slash plays at.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    I've tried the Sweet Child solo and I can do it up until that fast ascending part. My fingers just don't move that fast, at least not yet. It's gonna take me many years before I get anywhere close to the speed Slash plays at.

It's a bit of a bitch. I learned it wrong from a magazine transcipt, and now I'm still re-learning it. I was doing that at lunchtime with a metronome earlier this year, which is why I had my guitar in teh car. That was the one that got stolen, and iit just threw the practise routine right out.

Actually, the last few nights, I have thrown steady speed increase out teh window, and just gone for recklessly fast tremolo picking exercises, to try and break a speed wall. It is effective if not overused. It's a tip I picked up from a mag. Sometimes you gotta go hopelessly fast and sloppy for a bit , so that what was previously fast seems a bit slower. It does have a place, and is working for me at present. The trick is to not just become terminally sloppy, an dto bring accuracy and tidiness back in again at regular intervals.
  • On a real GN'R kick lately, but mainly been working on singing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    On a real GN'R kick lately, but mainly been working on singing.

Yeah, I've got at mate who is at Uni, and he is visiting on Friday. I taught him to play a couple of years ago, and he is pretty good now. He loves Gunners, so I've been learning a few more songs, so I can jam them with him.
    I find the songs are actually really really good when you get into them. Pity Axel is such a sideshow, he took a lot of attention away from how good their music actually is.
    I bought my mate a wah pedal for Xmas, and we are having an early party on Friday, cos he will be at his family's on Xmas day.
    I can't wait to see his face, he is gonna be stoked.