Thinking about a BYOC

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am thinking about having a go at this

http://www2.big.or.jp/~sunaudio/sv/svpm200_e.html

I looked at some audio tube amps today, and this sounded very good through some nice Rega R5 speakers. My hi-fi is shite, and really needs upgrading.

The guy imports these and builds them himself. I have estimated a saving of about $500 to me after shipping and customs if I buy the kit and solder it myself.

Does this look too ambitious for a first time build ??

Any thoughts ??
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• http://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/

Have a feeling I may have referred you here once before, but these are the guys you wanna speak to. Go to the "In The Shed" section, those guys know everything about everything.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    biffhardon wrote:
    http://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/

Have a feeling I may have referred you here once before, but these are the guys you wanna speak to. Go to the "In The Shed" section, those guys know everything about everything.

That link is not opening. I think I was a member on that forum for a while, but closed my account after I was severely flamed by some guy with attitude and the mods did nothing except criticise me for defending myself.
    I don't need flames, so I walked.
    There were nice guys there, but too bad.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    That link is not opening. I think I was a member on that forum for a while, but closed my account after I was severely flamed by some guy with attitude and the mods did nothing except criticise me for defending myself.
    I don't need flames, so I walked.
    There were nice guys there, but too bad.
    Apart from here, AGGH is the only other message board that i would look at regularly. That's a shame that you had that experience because there are some very knowledgable people there. Maybe give them another chance? May have just caught them on a bad day. We all have them. The link may have just been down when you tried because usually there are no problems getting there.
    All the best with it anyway lucy.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Apart from here, AGGH is the only other message board that i would look at regularly. That's a shame that you had that experience because there are some very knowledgable people there. Maybe give them another chance? May have just caught them on a bad day. We all have them. The link may have just been down when you tried because usually there are no problems getting there.
    All the best with it anyway lucy.

The problem with the link was a firewall at work.
    I look at the gear page a bit, lots of smart people and they are super tight on behaviour, which I have no problem with. I really prefer that to wondering when I'm gonna be flamed for having a differing opinion. There were lots of nice pople, but it only takes one flamer to spoil my day. This guy was really abusive and misquoted me severely, classic bully behaviour.
    I get enough aggro in my job, without getting it from my hobbies.
    But thank you for you felicitations, I appreciate that.
  • That is so surprising. If ever there was to be an award for friendliest forum, I'd give it to the Aussie Guitar Gearheads. I usually don't tell too many people about that forum because I'm terrified of it being flooded with wuckfits, like most every other forum out there.