Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Personally, Gold is my LEAST favourite Strat color. If you like 'em, go for it though!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Personally, Gold is my LEAST favourite Strat color. If you like 'em, go for it though!

TBH, I find strats really boring. The Shoreline gZold is about the only colour that tintersts me. Otherwise I would get a plain vintage white, with white pg and plain maple neck. I'm interested in teh tone though, it's a useful one to have. FINALLY starting to get the hang of SRV's Littel Wing after much painful effort, so the strat thing is more interedting to me. Dunno, not in a hurry.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • In my opinion, god and fender, does not go together. That's a Gibson thing (Even though I'm a bigger honeyburst fan).
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I personally think my JM Strat in Shoreline Gold with the red racing stripe looks kick ass! Just my two cents though!
  • robbybrobbyb Posts: 10
    The 54 strat with the 3 didget serial number is absolutely redonkulous....
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I think I'm going to have to steal that word...redonkulous
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    redonkulous is a great word.

Given the rarity I've only seen 1 original 54 and it wasn't a very good one, I simply prefer 59-65 much better and I like the 3 color burst a lot better.

I like that strats come in so many different colors and configurations, it's definately worth owning one even if it isn't really your thing, though you might check out teles and esquires especially the ones with the bigger baseball bat U necks as they can be fun.

My favorite vintage guitar I've played was an esquire from the early 60's in front of an original 65 strat, and at the same time I still love playing Les Paul Jr's 330's, 335's SG's and Les Pauls.

oh and hey, while you are looking at strat types, there is a gibson SG that was recently released through musicansfriend as a gibson of the day, that's a got 3 singles, it's worth a look.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    lucylespian, here's a pic of my guitars. as you can see, we'd pretty much have a match if you get that second Strat (except mine has a HB in the bridge). of course, the Strat hasn't been touched much since I got other guitar in December.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/Pontius2000/les3.jpg
    MLC2006 wrote:
    lucylespian, here's a pic of my guitars. as you can see, we'd pretty much have a match if you get that second Strat (except mine has a HB in the bridge). of course, the Strat hasn't been touched much since I got other guitar in December.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/Pontius2000/les3.jpg

Awesome !!

I want singles all teh way if I get one.
    It's funny paco, you say tehy come in so many forms, to me they are pretty much all the same. I think it's cos I can't see teh wood. I cruise the Les PAul forum drooling over flame tops, and the solid PU paint just coveres all that up. BUt the tones are cool, so I'll probbaly get one. It's so easy to pock one up at a good price, there is no hurry, not like the last train is gonna leave the station.

Now R9 custom reissue killer top LP's, that's different. Drooooooooooooool!!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Oh man, I would LOVE a strat. An American of some kind would be ideal, but I'd realistically go for one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

SRV, anyone? :D Sad thing is it seems like it's only a matter of time until it gets pulled... much like one of my previous loves, the Aerodyne tele. Oh well. I'll just have to wait a while and eventually get an American.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    Yeah, I like teh SRV sigs, but my wife hates them and has totally vetoed the idea. Thetre is no further discussion permitted !!
    Yeah, I like teh SRV sigs, but my wife hates them and has totally vetoed the idea. Thetre is no further discussion permitted !!

Well, I'm actually not a big fan of signature models at all. When I play an instrument, I kind of want it to be my own. And playing a signature model would feel like you're kind of playing someone else's instrument, even though you're not. You know what I mean?

That's one of the things I like about that Deluxe Player's Strat... it looks like SRV's trademark guitar, so it pays homage to him, but it's still anyone's for the taking.

Of course, it's a lot cheaper too. :D
    DOSW wrote:
    Well, I'm actually not a big fan of signature models at all. When I play an instrument, I kind of want it to be my own. And playing a signature model would feel like you're kind of playing someone else's instrument, even though you're not. You know what I mean?

That's one of the things I like about that Deluxe Player's Strat... it looks like SRV's trademark guitar, so it pays homage to him, but it's still anyone's for the taking.

Of course, it's a lot cheaper too. :D

Yeah, that's a very good philosophy.
    I don't actually own any sigs, and while I like mIke, I'm happy to sound like him on a white strat, nt a sunburst.
    I just liked the spec if the SRV sig, thoug gold heardware is pretty full on to me. I llok at ti, but I haven't bought it yet, always go for nickel or black.
    Yeah, that's a very good philosophy.
    I don't actually own any sigs, and while I like mIke, I'm happy to sound like him on a white strat, nt a sunburst.
    I just liked the spec if the SRV sig, thoug gold heardware is pretty full on to me. I llok at ti, but I haven't bought it yet, always go for nickel or black.
    The only reason I'm going sunburst is because it looks better beat up!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    The only reason I'm going sunburst is because it looks better beat up!

Be a dull old world if we were all the same.
    I had a sunburst strat when I was a kid, piece of crap it was.

I don't mind em, my wife hates em, and before you all say "pussy-whipped", I probably am, but she tends to pick some damn nice pretty gear, and the only reason I have the H&K Triamp is cos of the pretty blue lights, so as pussy-whipped goes, I am not doing too bad.

Also, I tend not to beat up my gits, I love em too much, though my KH-2 is getting some play wear, which I don't mind. Means I play it more than clean it. Once a year is enough isn't it ??
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759

I don't mind em, my wife hates em, and before you all say "pussy-whipped", I probably am

I am whipped too so it's all right
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

I don't mind em, my wife hates em, and before you all say "pussy-whipped", I probably am

I am whipped too so it's all right

I'd rather be pussy-whipped than pussy-free !!!! he he !!!!
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    As an owner of a signature Strat, I have to admit, its awesome. The SRV is a little over the top though with the big SRV initials, but thats a great strat.
    my wife thinks I paid $350 for my Gibson LP Standard (because that's what I convinced her). she doesn't care about colors, models, etc, she cares about $$$.
    moster78 wrote:
    As an owner of a signature Strat, I have to admit, its awesome. The SRV is a little over the top though with the big SRV initials, but thats a great strat.

If I ever got one I'd change the pickgaurd.

But hey, SRV was over the top!
    Be a dull old world if we were all the same.
    I had a sunburst strat when I was a kid, piece of crap it was.

I don't mind em, my wife hates em, and before you all say "pussy-whipped", I probably am, but she tends to pick some damn nice pretty gear, and the only reason I have the H&K Triamp is cos of the pretty blue lights, so as pussy-whipped goes, I am not doing too bad.

Also, I tend not to beat up my gits, I love em too much, though my KH-2 is getting some play wear, which I don't mind. Means I play it more than clean it. Once a year is enough isn't it ??

I just think an old sunburst strat looks cool. I take EXTRA care of my gear, but I have to admit, my dad has an old gibson, his grandfathers, beat to shit. I can't imagine it having the same kind of vibe if it was perfectly clean.
    If I ever got one I'd change the pickgaurd.

But hey, SRV was over the top!

yeah, I would too. I love SRV, but I have no want of having his initials on my guitar unless his estate pays for it.

totally off topic, but speaking of tribute guitars....Dean was going to make an exact replica of Dimebag Darrel's main guitar. the guitar I guess had a KISS sticker on it. but Gene Simmons was such a dick that he wouldn't let them put the sticker on the guitar. maybe it's just me, but that's pretty lame.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    my wife thinks I paid $350 for my Gibson LP Standard (because that's what I convinced her). she doesn't care about colors, models, etc, she cares about $$$.

MIne is the opposite. All she cares about is pretty, and that stuff is GOOD !!!!! She is pretty good at checking into the performance aspect of stuff, and she gets GAS pretty bad when looking at LP's esp, that and White Penguin Gretsches. She just loves those things !!
    I respect her opinion a lot. It has helped me choose some very nice stuff, including my namesake LP standard, as well as Buffy and Violet.

I earn the dollars, so she makes sure I get some nice stuff in return.

I maintain that it is never a mistake to buy quality. Your LP will lst a zillion times longer than an Epi for that $350.
    I just think an old sunburst strat looks cool. I take EXTRA care of my gear, but I have to admit, my dad has an old gibson, his grandfathers, beat to shit. I can't imagine it having the same kind of vibe if it was perfectly clean.

They all get knocked around eventually if they get played esp over a few generations.

Again, I have to say that it is so cool that guitars last decades and become heirlooms. Yet another reason to buy quality, it really is still so cheap compared to everything else.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Awesome !!

I want singles all teh way if I get one.
    It's funny paco, you say tehy come in so many forms, to me they are pretty much all the same. I think it's cos I can't see teh wood. I cruise the Les PAul forum drooling over flame tops, and the solid PU paint just coveres all that up. BUt the tones are cool, so I'll probbaly get one. It's so easy to pock one up at a good price, there is no hurry, not like the last train is gonna leave the station.

Now R9 custom reissue killer top LP's, that's different. Drooooooooooooool!!

nice, I'm the same way especially looking at gustavssons.

why not check out some custom options http://www.warmoth.com

you can see the woods on those, then get a nice fat neck too, and I can only imagine Kinmans are cheaper in your area.

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&numResults=200&start=1&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=2&subMenuItem2=0

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=fender+showmaster&category0=

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/customerpics.html

http://www.suhrguitars.com/guitarGallery.aspx?gallery=1

http://www.andersonguitars.com/newsite/gallery.cfm

I just wanted you to see some pretty S style wood guitars ;)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    \
    moster78 wrote:

Yeah I'd replace the pickguard immediately with a tortoiseshell. It would look like the Mayer strat before it left the store.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    MLC2006 wrote:
    yeah, I would too. I love SRV, but I have no want of having his initials on my guitar unless his estate pays for it.

Hey, the guitar with the SRV initials on the body is nothing... did you ever see his custom-made guitar with his entire signature inlaid into the fretboard? Now that's a little over the top. :D
    DOSW wrote:
    Hey, the guitar with the SRV initials on the body is nothing... did you ever see his custom-made guitar with his entire signature inlaid into the fretboard? Now that's a little over the top. :D

yeah, if you have that guitar, unless you can play like SRV (and very few people on earth can), then you end up looking like a douche.

I'd say though, Fender makes these guitars (may be the very one you're talking about) that is made by their custom shop and they are made exactly like the real guitar....every scratch and dent, every turn of the pickup wires are exactly the same, etc etc. I'd like to have THAT SRV guitar. I know they just made one of Clapton's black Strat. and they cost something like $20,000. but it would be cool to have one to see if it's really like the real thing. I know Gibson just made one like that of Gary Rossington's (Skynyrd) Les Paul. I'd like to try that out.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    DOSW wrote:
    Yeah, I know that guy that made that for him - he works at M.A.E. (Music Arts Enterprises) in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
    But I never really liked the headstock - made it look like an old Krammer guitar.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Yeah, I know that guy that made that for him - he works at M.A.E. (Music Arts Enterprises) in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
    But I never really liked the headstock - made it look like an old Krammer guitar.

- Ian

Didn't Billy Gibbons have that custom made?