Why no tab books ?

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi there, newbie here, just wondering if there has ever been a campaign to get teh band to publish their music in bound tab books. I know you can get good tabs from GTW, but so much is missing, in terms of a proper staff with note timing info and accompanying lyrics, so make it easy to follow the changes. I know that people generally think poorly of theTen effort, but that was early days for "as recorded" tabs, and most bands have no trouble producing professional, accurate transccriptions to add to our playing pleasure.
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• its because ten is the only album they didn't own publishing rights for, therefor it can be used under consent of Epic for publishing. The band did have a clause saying audio could not be used for marketing/advertising, but using the audio to publish musical notation was allowed. every peice of material since the band owns under thier somewhat comical Copyright names (they are actually corporations)

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • its because ten is the only album they didn't own publishing rights for, therefor it can be used under consent of Epic for publishing. The band did have a clause saying audio could not be used for marketing/advertising, but using the audio to publish musical notation was allowed. every peice of material since the band owns under thier somewhat comical Copyright names (they are actually corporations)

What would those names be?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • This question was answered in previous Rumour Pits (years ago) by Ed (presumably)

"better to use your ears" ...

the band has said that "there didn't used to be any books, you used to sit and listen to albums and try to feel the notes" ... (or something like that) ... i half agree ... but tab sure does help in the short term (it's like crack though!)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?

That is about the only half decent reason I have heard so far. But that is not to say that they couldn't publish them themselves, ensuring accuracy. It's all well and good for people with perfect pitch saying "use your ears", but in the real world of cloth eared amateur players with time limitations , it's not really very helpful. Purists always want everyone else to suffer the way they did.
    The current wave of new metal bands is almost entirely due to kids learning Metallica songs note for note, because they could buy the tabs. Imagine how many PJ influenced bands there would be if kids were learning guitar from PJ songs, and how much more impact the music and messages would be making in the music world.
  • This question was answered in previous Rumour Pits (years ago) by Ed (presumably)

"better to use your ears" ...

the band has said that "there didn't used to be any books, you used to sit and listen to albums and try to feel the notes" ... (or something like that) ... i half agree ... but tab sure does help in the short term (it's like crack though!)

Yeah, but there didn't used to be cars or aeroplanes, or amplifiers or effects pedals or e-bows or surfboards or cigarettes or effective treatment for Crohn's disease or people who cared about child abuse or domestic violence or people who could be bothered to stand up to politicians about war and the economy yada yada yada, not really a logical argument against published music.
    With a few exceptions like GTW, you just have to look at tabs on the net to see that very few people can actually transcribe wiht any degree of accuracy
    as for "like crack", what a load of crap, that's like saying getting music lessons is like crack, or tuning your guitar is like crack.
    I've been "feeling teh notes" for years, but lacking perfect pitch, it hasn't really gotten me anywhere.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    That is about the only half decent reason I have heard so far. But that is not to say that they couldn't publish them themselves, ensuring accuracy. It's all well and good for people with perfect pitch saying "use your ears", but in the real world of cloth eared amateur players with time limitations , it's not really very helpful. Purists always want everyone else to suffer the way they did.
    The current wave of new metal bands is almost entirely due to kids learning Metallica songs note for note, because they could buy the tabs. Imagine how many PJ influenced bands there would be if kids were learning guitar from PJ songs, and how much more impact the music and messages would be making in the music world.

News flash: There are a ton of PJ wanna-bees out there already.
    I dont think PJ songs are as complicated to figure out as some old Metallica.