Wheel of Guitars

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Have to show you guys this, is om a show your gear thread at LPF, man that place gives me gas.............

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119410

Just scroll to the middle of the page or so, be patient the photos can take a while to load, but teh wait is worth it !!!!
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Royals32Royals32 Posts: 160
    Have to show you guys this, is om a show your gear thread at LPF, man that place gives me gas.............

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119410

Just scroll to the middle of the page or so, be patient the photos can take a while to load, but teh wait is worth it !!!!

sweet jesus
    #==(o )

You are not your job.
    You are not how much money you have in the bank.
    You are not the car you drive.
    You are not the contents of your wallet.
    You are not your fucking khakis.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Looks similar to a collection I once had (at one time I was up to 53 -- mine were mostly Gibsons & Fenders).
    You run out of room fast with that many guitars, and I don't get play all of them very much, as you'd expect.
    (you always tend to gravitate towards your favorites, and then you don't play the others as much - regrettably).
    Anyhow, very cool -- probably took him a while to put them all out on the tramp (and a while to put them all away).
    I know I was always exceedingly careful loading and unloading my collection when moving - I never wanted the
    neighbors to see how many I had for fear of a dishonest person getting any ideas and paying me an unwelcomed visit.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yeah, that's pretty insane.

i hope the trampoline guy has armed guards.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Some people have a midlife crisis and buy a Ferrari, others buy Les Pauls it seems.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • taratara Posts: 293
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Looks similar to a collection I once had (at one time I was up to 53 -- mine were mostly Gibsons & Fenders).
    You run out of room fast with that many guitars, and I don't get play all of them very much, as you'd expect.
    (you always tend to gravitate towards your favorites, and then you don't play the others as much - regrettably).
    Anyhow, very cool -- probably took him a while to put them all out on the tramp (and a while to put them all away).
    I know I was always exceedingly careful loading and unloading my collection when moving - I never wanted the
    neighbors to see how many I had for fear of a dishonest person getting any ideas and paying me an unwelcomed visit.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

man, i hate moving, i hate the packing up of stuff, unpacking, cleaning stuff from the move, i hate that it takes up an entire week of my life, i can't even begin to explain how much i hate moving (yet i did it 4 times through 2006), because of this deep hatred of moving i've kept my posessions to a minimum, but by the last move i finally moved into a place of my own, and thus had to bring in my own furniture etc. how did this 'big move' go you ask? i still managed to fit all my furniture (ikea, so it was broken down), clothes, kitchen stuff, and 2 bikes in a large van, i don't even think you'd be able to fit your guitars in that van, how the fuck did you do it? seriously though, how do you move 53 guitars discreetly? did you pack them in boxes or something?
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Owning two white falcons should be a crime.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
    tara wrote:
    seriously though, how do you move 53 guitars discreetly? did you pack them in boxes or something?
    I move them at night every time, this way no one can see what I'm moving in or out.
    It also helps if you back the truck right up to the door (or as close as you can).

You hate moving . . . I've moved 14 times since 2000 - coast to coast a few times at that!!!!!!!
    Generally I use a U-haul truck and a few friends - this last move back to FL from CA wasn’t bad (only 23-guitars this time).

Here's the kicker . . . I didn't have a mid-life crisis . . . I just turned 33 in January.
    I got rid of the majority of my guitars by age 29 - I really starting collecting them at age 26
    :D

I made decent money in the studios for a couple years - so guitars are what I spent my $$$ on.
    I ended up selling what I didn't really use in the studios, and I kept what I did.
    Anyhow, you learn to stack guitar cases well - you find out where they fit the best.
    Plus I don't own much furniture - most of the truck space was guitars.
    I typically lived in a 2-bdrm apartment ("at most"), so the 2nd room was usually guitar storage.

- Ian
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Owning two white falcons should be a crime.

hahaha i thought exactly the same. Even the Fru would be jealous!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Honestly, thats a little ridicilous, and this comes from a total gear head.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Here's the kicker . . . I didn't have a mid-life crisis . . . I just turned 33 in January.
    I got rid of the majority of my guitars by age 29 - I really starting collecting them at age 26
    :D

so what is that, about 1 guitar every six weeks for 4 years? a bit excessive no?
    Albert Einstein
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    The real tragedy here was the flash thunder storm that hit *just* as this person finished taking the pictures.
    tara wrote:
    so what is that, about 1 guitar every six weeks for 4 years? a bit excessive no?
    Excessive??? 1 guitar every month and a half - NO, comparatively that's not excessive.
    Now I sometimes bought 3 or 4 guitars at one time (okay, I think that's a bit excessive)!!!
    But hey, I didn't have any kids at the time, I paid my bills on-time, and it's what I did and still do for a living (make music).
    And I can sure think of a lot of other non-productive things to spend my $$$ on.
    I've just wised up (somewhat) as far as the amount of gear I own - it did get a little excessive (but, if this is what you
    do for a living, can you really have too much gear). Well, my wife did ask me to try and sell 10 more guitars before
    our last move (so I guess I still had too many guitars). But hey, those guitars more than paid for our move from CA to FL,
    and they also gave me a small downpayment on the house we bought (so I guess it all worked out in the end).

- Ian
  • Atomic DogAtomic Dog Posts: 5
    Sweet baby Jesus Christ pose in a romper suit thats a lot of guitars
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    And the real kicker is that that is by no means the biggest collection I have seen on that forum.

If you go to the main menu, and click the
    "GUitars" tab in the menu on the left, then go to Mike Sluboski's collection, you will see he has about 6-8 original 1959 sunburst LP's alone before you get to the about 200 others he has, including a shitload of Murphy historic re-issues.

There are a few walls of Marshalls and Fenders to be seen as well, just in ordinary homes.

Motto of the story.....................

NEVER SELL ANYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless you really, really hate it !!!!!!!!!!

A lot !!!
    He's what I call a collector for the sake of collecting (it's like a show collection).
    That's just sooo Pompous, Pretentious, and Arrogant - Unfortunately guys like this just don't get it.
    He’s like the guy that I sold my D'Aquisto Excel to (he also owned one of SRV's guitars and one of Hendrix's guitars).
    Kept them all in a walk in vault (couple hundred), and he didn't really play any of them, they just sat there.
    I TRULY regret selling the Excel to him, simply because it’s not getting played anymore.
    That kind of collecting makes me feel sad, because the guitars aren’t getting used for what they were made for.
    Truthfully, I've used every single guitar I've owned (mostly for recording), and when it got down to not using it
    anymore I let it go. Of coarse sadly, but it needed to go because it wasn’t' being used - & I knew someone would.

- Ian
    I dunno, MIke Slub is a player, and a very knowledgeable guy. He has written a bunch of informative articles on Les PAuls, and clearly has an extensive knowledge, and endless passion for them. He is very open about sharing his guitars.

Obviously come of his collection is for the sake of completeness, but I'm not saying I would not do the same if I were in a position to.

I have seen a few other collections there, much much smaller, which had many more hallmarks of being for ego and show, rather than genuine interest and passion.
    I don't know how long Slub has been collecting, but it's quite possible that he paid peanuts for those '59 bursts a few years ago. It's only in teh last five years or so that the price on those has gone from $20 000 to $300 000+, and 20 yr ago they were going for a few hundred bucks.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    the funniest thing about that collection is that he has the freaking pink Hello Kitty Squier??!?!?! that thing does NOT belong in the same area code as some of those guitars.

also, what does the phrase "gives me gas" or "has me GASing" mean? I've seen it used frequently lately.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    the funniest thing about that collection is that he has the freaking pink Hello Kitty Squier??!?!?! that thing does NOT belong in the same area code as some of those guitars.

also, what does the phrase "gives me gas" or "has me GASing" mean? I've seen it used frequently lately.

GAS is gear/guitar acquisition syndrome, as well as being a pun on "gives me gas" in the general sense of a feelign of discomfort that can only be relieved by buying more gear. It's on of tehose double entendre things, which morphs into "gassing for ", which means the same as "jonesing for", ( which actually makes less snese, unless you are keepign up with the Jones' I guess).
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    He's what I call a collector for the sake of collecting (it's like a show collection).
    That's just sooo Pompous, Pretentious, and Arrogant - Unfortunately guys like this just don't get it.
    He’s like the guy that I sold my D'Aquisto Excel to (he also owned one of SRV's guitars and one of Hendrix's guitars).
    Kept them all in a walk in vault (couple hundred), and he didn't really play any of them, they just sat there.
    I TRULY regret selling the Excel to him, simply because it’s not getting played anymore.
    That kind of collecting makes me feel sad, because the guitars aren’t getting used for what they were made for.
    Truthfully, I've used every single guitar I've owned (mostly for recording), and when it got down to not using it anymore I let it go.
    Of coarse sadly, but it needed to go because it wasn’t' being used - and I knew someone would.

- Ian

ppl like that suck, when i was in india i think it was, i was looking at some prayer beads, they were really pretty, a monk/holy man came over to me and said 'you shouldn't buy them unless you plan to pray with them, then they don't get to serve their purpose, they are dead' or something to that effect, it's the same with art, instruments, etc
    Albert Einstein
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Excessive??? 1 guitar every month and a half - NO, comparatively that's not excessive.
    Now I sometimes bought 3 or 4 guitars at one time (okay, I think that's a bit excessive)!!!
    But hey, I didn't have any kids at the time, I paid my bills on-time, and it's what I did and still do for a living (make music).
    And I can sure think of a lot of other non-productive things to spend my $$$ on.
    I've just wised up (somewhat) as far as the amount of gear I own - it did get a little excessive (but, if this is what you
    do for a living, can you really have too much gear). Well, my wife did ask me to try and sell 10 more guitars before
    our last move (so I guess I still had too many guitars). But hey, those guitars more than paid for our move from CA to FL,
    and they also gave me a small downpayment on the house we bought (so I guess it all worked out in the end).

- Ian

hey, i wasn't judging
    Albert Einstein
    tara wrote:
    hey, i wasn't judging

I dunno, you sounded pretty judgemental about Mike Slub !!!

How do you know what he does or does not do with his instruments ??

To say he sucks based on nothing is pretty harsh. So th guy likes to collect pretty things, big deal. I hardly think he is a rich dick without a clue who has bought stuff cos his accountatn told him to.

I'm starting to regret sharing that here, I did not expect such narrow-minded negative responses, but I guess that envy is everywhere !!
    I dunno, you sounded pretty judgemental about Mike Slub !!!

How do you know what he does or does not do with his instruments ??

To say he sucks based on nothing is pretty harsh. So th guy likes to collect pretty things, big deal. I hardly think he is a rich dick without a clue who has bought stuff cos his accountatn told him to.

I'm starting to regret sharing that here, I did not expect such narrow-minded negative responses, but I guess that envy is everywhere !!

i have no idea who mike slub is (the guy with the wheel?) i wasn't saying that dude doesn't play, i was saying that the dude that ian sold his guitar to that doesn't play them and locks them in a vault sucks.
    Albert Einstein
    tara wrote:
    i have no idea who mike slub is (the guy with the wheel?) i wasn't saying that dude doesn't play, i was saying that the dude that ian sold his guitar to that doesn't play them and locks them in a vault sucks.

MIke Slub is a the guy on teh Les PAul firum with a huge collection I mentioned above, who Ian was referring to in his last few posts, when he was talking about people locking stuff up in vaults and not playing it, being pompus and arrogant for daring to own so much stuff.
    Regardless, the guy with the wheel also for all you know he plays all those guitars every day, or whatever, and to say he sucks is very judgemental !!
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    whew. let's just say he has a lot of damn awesome guitars, the likes of which I'll never own. and let's say maybe he plays them, maybe he doesn't, but their his property to do what he wants, and put it to rest.

I'm glad you posted it though because I like drooling over other people's cool shit.
    Well I never said anyone "SUCKED" - I said "it's like a SHOW collection" (maybe I implied it a little bit).
    I definitely don’t have envy - I’ve personally owned some VERY expensive guitars.
    Yes, to me, someone owning guitars just to own them seems "Pompous, Pretentious, and Arrogant."
    And unfortunately I don’t feel anyone with that many guitars (especially someone that’s not a household name) “gets it".
    I was honestly implying this more to the guy who I sold a few of my guitars too. But you're correct, I don't know Mike Slub,
    I don't know who he is, or what he does (did he work in music, is he a famous engineer, or famous musician)???
    However, to me, anyone owning that many original 59' Les Paul Standards makes me feel, excuse the pun "GAS".
    Sorry, I still see it as a SHOW collection - I won't retreat those feelings - it’s kind of a heartfelt conviction of mine.
    Yes, SLASH has a SHOW Collection of LP's, Eric Clapton had a very big SHOW Collection (then he realized it and started selling them).
    Unfortunately only people with a SHOW collection could afford to buy any of his guitars (at least the money went to a good cause).
    Joe Walsh has a SHOW collection - he buys them just for the sake of buying them - I can say this because I know Joe,
    I've been to his house a couple times, and I've even sold him a few Les Pauls.
    It seems like most successful musicians have a SHOW collection (and it's like it's almost expected).
    I don't consider the guy with the "Wheel of Guitars" to have a SHOW collection.
    That many guitars is quite reasonable for a working session player, and I have no idea what he does for a living.
    I never said anything about the "Wheel of Guitars" guy - I actually compared myself to him.
    But I do get upset with folks who just seem to collect coveted guitars, and don't really play them (just store them away and go look at my collection).
    I've known stockbrokers that don't play guitar, but they buy expensive guitars to save and go, guess what that's worth (like the guy that bought a few of mine).
    It's just such a waist . . .

- Ian
    Nah, it was Tara who said he sucked, Ithought she was referring to Slub, she was probably referring to the wheel guy.

I probably agree with you on the stockbroker or pure investment guy staching stuff away. Having read a bunch of posts from MIke Slub, as well as his articles, I don't think he is in that category. I think he gets it, he is just clearly wealthy enough to get it in a big way.
    I have read that Joe Walsh's passion extended to him hounding people to play them and giving gift guitars to excite, them, durng the time they were out of production.
    I have also read that he gave Page his number 1 guitar, though in an interview with Page, he said he bought it for $800, so there is some conflict there.
    sorry if i offended, you've got to take everything i say over the next week or so with a grain of salt, it was written quickly and without much thought, i'm doing my field work for my masters over the next couple of weeks (supposed to start today, but it's raining, and i can't do what i need to do in the rain, so now i'm up at 5:30 am waiting out the rain), i'm really nervous about the research, and not thinking stuff out clearly, i don't know wheel dude, i was just empathizing with how ian felt about selling off his guitar and feeling like it was locked up and not being played anymore
    i was obviously impressed by the wheel, you shouldn't feel that you shouldn't have posted it hear.
    Albert Einstein
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    that wheel of guitars looks fucking fantastic.

what a top pic.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Just clarifying here.... the only person Tara said sucks is the guy who Ian sold his Excel to, not Mike Slub and/or the wheelguy (if mike slub is not the wheel guy)
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...