Short tone clip

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Trying to get the hang of this upload biz.
This is a short doodle, "informed" by Alive, so it sounds nothing like it really, have to dodge the copyright issue on Soundclick. Next they will be banning kids from playing riffs at Guitar Centre.
Anyway, this is one of my R9's into a "British", more copyright code, Marshall type really, channel of a Hughes and Kettner Triamp, recorded directly into a Zoom H4. I think the wee mics were taking a beating, though the volume was not that loud.

Al the usual disclamiers, you know, this was done on a spur of the moment while drunk/stoned/being abducted by aliens on an out of tune guitar with rusty strings through a borrowed amp being powered by an arthritic cockatoo peddling a generator with the wrong voltage etc etc.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=811115&songID=6332117

The one disclaimer I will claim is that tube amps are not designed to roar through computer speakers esp laptops, so if you play it through them, I guaruntee it will sound shite.
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Even through my shitey laptop speakers, it sounded good to me. How close would you say that H&K acts to a Marshal DSL or TSL head if you've played one of those? Or perhaps a Mesa Dual Rect?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Novawind wrote:
    Even through my shitey laptop speakers, it sounded good to me. How close would you say that H&K acts to a Marshal DSL or TSL head if you've played one of those? Or perhaps a Mesa Dual Rect?

CAn't really comment on how it compares to any MArshall actually, as the only time I've actually played one is briefly in a store a couple of times, which is not a valid environment.

The higher gain channels are very similar to a Mesa DR actually. The 6th channel is the heaviest, and I can eq it to sound almost identical to the Msa IIC+ running through the same stereo cab.

The middle , more Marshally channels can really nail a classic Marshall crunch sound like AC/DC.

I almost hesiate to make these direct comparisons, because it is very reactive to guitar and eq setting etc, and you can pull pretty much any tone out that you want if you fiddle.

The ironic thing is that is has 6L6 power tubes, but can totally do EL34 tones, but anothere guy I know who has one with EL34's can't get anywhere near the heavy tones I get.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    can't get this to play at work lucy, i'll check it when i can at home.
    71 views and 2 comments. that's lame people. he's taken the time to post it. at least give him some feedback.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Took me a while to listen on something better than crap laptop speakers. That tone is beautiful. Lush with decaying harmonics like embers in a fire. Fantastic.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I can't get the link to work. Is anyone else having problems?
    Thanks!
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    It's not you. Looks like the link is gone. I'd saved the file to my computer earlier in the week. It looks as though it's gone today.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Oh yeah, I deleted that link, cos I wasn't really very happy with what I put up. I was mainly trying to work out how to do it etc.
    I seem to have that side sussed now, so I'll put some more up soon.

Thanks for the positive comments. Recording yourself is a harsh process, and stand-alone tracks sound so harsh and stark compared to the same thing in a mix, but it's very educating as well.

Here are a couple of Franken-riffs different ones, on this page. Astute listeners might recognise the donor riffs.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=812585