Music shops in San Francisco

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am heading to Whistler to ski in a few weeks, and I will probably be having a stop-over in SAn Francisco.
Anyone got some suggestions about what guitar shops to hit for an Aussie wanting to score a bargain.
Am interested in Taylor acoustics in particular but good range and prices in general. I was trying to have a look at a variety of examples of teh T5 Thinline and our shops only carry one at a time.
Any hints welcome.
The alternative is to route through LA. Was going to try to et to tehb TAylor factory, but it will be too much hassle I think.
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Guitar Center has great selection, lots of guitars on the walls usually -- but i only buy from them on major sale days....

http://www.guitarcenter.com

Back in the 80s I shopped a lot at Leo's over the bridge in Oakland, but haven't gotten there ferever...

http://www.leosaudio.com/

Here's a nice list:
    http://www.till.com/BayProg/musicstores.html

There are actually quite a few custom luthiers in the greater bay area, esp up north marin, napa, etc. but sounds like you know what yer looking for. I pop into my local guitar center every few weeks to strum a few acoustics and dream....
    [sic] happens
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    MMMMmnnnnnnnnnnnnn, that was intersting, teh cash price is about what I would pay here in Australia, after currency conversion, whichis surprising. I expected it to be cheaper in teh USA, talking about the T5 of course.
    Still kicking myself, cos I bought teh Gretsch recently as a cheaper alternative, and THEN my wife tells me she was buying me the Taylor for Xmas, can I just say AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGH !
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Guitar Center ya gotta haggle.... Friend recently picked up an ovation and pretty much got a practice amp, bunch of strings and a stand thrown in...

"WHat will it take to get you into that guitar today...."

Think their online presence is Musican's Friend? Or Music123?
    [sic] happens
  • I know this is true for Martins and Fenders, so you'll have to research a bit for Taylor or whatever brand your looking to buy.

In Martin-land, you can usually get a guitar around 60% of the list price from a decent dealer. This is also true for Fenders (I think the magic number is 75%).

So just do your research ahead of time, and you can usually work out a pretty good deal provided you know how low the dealer can go.

-steve
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Yeah, been a bit of change of plan, something to do with my H&K crapping itself, and me looking aat Xmas break with no amp at all, so had a mental and went and bought a brand new Lonestar 212 combo, which has crushed the idea of a ski trip for this year.
    It was a choice between one week of ski bliss ( after a couple of skanky days travel) or years of tone bliss, without any travel at all.
    Gotta say, just spent a few hours jamming that pesky RHCP on the Gretsch and I think I made a damn good choice.