INteresting gear site

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Was doing some research on gear used by teh old bles artisits and cam across this site.

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/buddy_guy/

It is interesting that nearly all the old blues artists used Gibson gear, with a few telcasters thrown in.
Pretty much everyone up until SRV used humbuckers or P-90's for the blues including Peter Green, GAry Moore etc.
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Was doing some research on gear used by teh old bles artisits and cam across this site.

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/buddy_guy/

It is interesting that nearly all the old blues artists used Gibson gear, with a few telcasters thrown in.
    Pretty much everyone up until SRV used humbuckers or P-90's for the blues including Peter Green, GAry Moore etc.

There was one dude who used singles before SRV. I think it was Jimi something....
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Yeah, Jimi is not generally thought of as a blues artist , though that was clearly his roots. I'm thinking it was SRV that set the Strat as a standard for blues though.
    Cool to see Buddy Guy using an SG for blues.
  • There was one dude who used singles before SRV. I think it was Jimi something....

Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck. Robert Cray. Jimmy Page used a Danelectro back in the day.

Really, the blues started on acoustics, and later moved to hollow-body electrics once those started to show in the 50's.

But then, there are so many kinds of blues. Delta blues, Chicago blues, Texas blues, the British invasion. And you can find examples of tons of players using Les Pauls, SG's, ES's, Tele's, Strats, Jazzmasters, etc. Clapton used SG's with Cream, and Jimi had been known to play an SG from time to time, and he played a Flying V at Isle of Wight.

Jimi was DEFINITELY a blues musician. "Red House," anyone?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Yeah, Jimi is not generally thought of as a blues artist , though that was clearly his roots. I'm thinking it was SRV that set the Strat as a standard for blues though.
    Cool to see Buddy Guy using an SG for blues.

I was being a smartass. I see some of Hendrix as blues, but not totally (Red House comes to mind) but Clapton and Cray totally.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I was being a smartass. I see some of Hendrix as blues, but not totally (Red House comes to mind) but Clapton and Cray totally.

Yeah, I know you were being a smart-ass, I chose to be polite hoping you would too, which you have. What I was really trying to do with this thread was promote some discussion about the variety of gear that has been used for the blues, and how it is not really about just one instrument, like so many posts I have seen.
    I thought it was cool seeing Albert King in a suit holding a Flying V, that is so strongly associated with metal, yet there he is in a lounge suit crooning the blues.
    I always bring up his name when talking about V's, as they are some of the guitars that are at home anywhere. Honestly, you'd never look out of place with one in my book. Sorry if I came off the wrong way, that's not what this forum is about!
    I always bring up his name when talking about V's, as they are some of the guitars that are at home anywhere. Honestly, you'd never look out of place with one in my book. Sorry if I came off the wrong way, that's not what this forum is about!

It's cool !!
    I just love Red House, that tab is open on my music stand now.
    I actually play most of my blues on my KH-2, cos I keep it in Eb and that's what SRV and Hendrix recorded in mostly. Works a treat on teh neck pup, through the Lonestar, which is very Fender Bassman in it's sound.