I am playing ZZ Top today.....

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Saturday moring, home alone, ZZ Top playing on teh stereo, feeling very inspired to get into some more of that.

Cheap Sunglasses was getting me in the groove, that funky beat and choice lead playing making me want to get picking.
I'm feeling some more music buying coming on.
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    La Grange is my favourite 'jam' song.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    down the road about an hour from where I live (way out in the boonies), ZZ Top was going to be playing a private party at some guy's house not long ago. but the cover charge to get into the party was going to be about $200.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    MLC2006 wrote:
    down the road about an hour from where I live (way out in the boonies), ZZ Top was going to be playing a private party at some guy's house not long ago. but the cover charge to get into the party was going to be about $200.

I would have paid that !! ZZ Top at a private party ?? WOW !!!!
    La Grange is my favourite 'jam' song.

Yeah, I love LA Grange. It's the only one I have the music too. I'm gonna go for a drive in a later and get some more.

I finally nailed that descending part at the beginnignof the first solo. I had one note in teh wrong place, which was making my fingering impossible. Once I corrected that, it was done !!
    Plus I have been grinding out some nice pinch harmonics today. Had the LP running through the Bad Cat on both pups, nice tone !!!!
    I play teh clean parts on the Lonestar, then add teh Bad Cat on top in tandem for the crunchier parts, and change to the OD channel on the Lonestar to add more heavy. It is sweet !!
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Yeah, I love LA Grange. It's the only one I have the music too. I'm gonna go for a drive in a later and get some more.

I finally nailed that descending part at the beginnignof the first solo. I had one note in teh wrong place, which was making my fingering impossible. Once I corrected that, it was done !!
    !!
    haha, this is weird. i brought la grange in to my lessons today to learn the descent of the solo. weird
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    seanw1010 wrote:
    haha, this is weird. i brought la grange in to my lessons today to learn the descent of the solo. weird

It's not actaully that hard. I got teh music off http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us so it's a very ggod tab, with timing accurately notated.
    I was playing it from memory and had a note wrong which was making my life hard. I spent some time yesterday working on teh next bit, and once I get hat, it gets easy after that. I'll get the Tascam out later and do some more on it.
    I thought there was a greatest hits tab book in my fav shop, but I called yesterday and it was not there, so now I have to try and remember where I saw it.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    It's not actaully that hard. I got teh music off http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us so it's a very ggod tab, with timing accurately notated.
    I was playing it from memory and had a note wrong which was making my life hard. I spent some time yesterday working on teh next bit, and once I get hat, it gets easy after that. I'll get the Tascam out later and do some more on it.
    I thought there was a greatest hits tab book in my fav shop, but I called yesterday and it was not there, so now I have to try and remember where I saw it.
    its a very simple song, but i just couldnt remember this note:

.........................................*
    -|
    |
    -|-11^
    11-8-11-8----8
    -|
    10---10-8-10-8
    |
    -|
    10-10
    10--|
    -|
    8h10---8
    |
    -|
    |
    i kept skipping it and couldnt understand why my timing was off after that, but than i got it, and it wassuper simple.

on the second solo, he has the nicest harmonics on any song ive ever heard. they are flawless
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • I love playing ZZ Top... Especially La Grange... but also Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers, Tush and Heard It On The X..

I usually just feel out their songs... Most of the tabs just don't cut it for me.. I'm best at just sticking on a video of said artist and watching their fingers and feeling it out for myself... i tend to get the right 'vibe' doing it that way...

I don't usually like to play solos note-for-note anyway... As long as you get the right feel, you're 99% there in my opinion...
    Yeah, I am starting to get to the stge where I can work some stuff out . I don't have any ZZ Top on DVD, might have to look into that.
    He mostly plays in Cm which is a nice position and makes it easy to have a general idea of what's going on, so I can bumble around without sounding off.

There's that other song, where he is hallucinating about teh "cowgirl floating acros the ceiling" too, that is a GROOOOOOOOOOVY jam song. It'll come to me in a sec.

Hey maggots, what do you play your ZZ on? I jujst can't stay away from my Lesbian when that shit is on !!
  • yeah, i gots my own pearly gates to rip out ZZ Top on... nothing beats a paulie for a dirty, low-down bloozy groove! :D
    yeah, i gots my own pearly gates to rip out ZZ Top on... nothing beats a paulie for a dirty, low-down bloozy groove! :D

And Im thnking with only 13 posts up that we have yet to see a PICTURE !!!

You can fix that if you want and show us now !!

Noice !!!

Is that an ADV Vox ??
  • Yeah, it's a little 30 watt ADVT Vox amp i use in my room... You can get great sounds from it! Really nice little recording amp actually.