First band rehersal

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
First rehersal today. Intersting.

Singer is a bit dodgy, hadn't really learnt the arrangemetns and kept coming in at the wrong places.
Other guitar guys had not really learnt the songs, and did not turn an hour early as aranged to go over stuff, which pissed me off.
Bass player, really on it and cool.
Drummer, freakin' awesome, pro level skills and gently tore his hair out trying to get the arrangements to go OK.
TUrns out that "lead" means all the interesting guitar parts while the "rhythm" guys get to strum chords all night. Suits me.
I did OK today, could have been way better, could have been worse.
The hardset thing was, the "pro level" amp they supplied was a POS Marshall 401 DSL, which might have only sounded bad if the power tubes had not been gasping. As it was, it kept cutting in and out, and I could barely hear myself half the time. I had a decent amp on the car too. Next time I think I might say sod the rules and bring it in anyway.
Never mind, we have booked rehersal space for a big session every week for the next month to get things sorted.
At the end of the day, the coach said that we are further ahead than most Warriors band on their first rehersal, so that's something anyway
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ah the joy of being pissed off and frustrated at a rehearsal. It seems to me that whethers its the first ever rehearsal or the 10,000th on I still get pissed off and frustrated. It's probably just me anymore!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ah the joy of being pissed off and frustrated at a rehearsal. It seems to me that whethers its the first ever rehearsal or the 10,000th on I still get pissed off and frustrated. It's probably just me anymore!
    Nah, I get pissed after rehearsals as well.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    heh heh heh. been there done that lucy. it can only get better ;) that's positive feedback from the coach though, that's got to make you feel good.

and +1 on the bass dude. i've never played with a bad one yet. they all seem to be so chilled, laid back, easy to get along with, and the most non attention seeking member of the band!

good luck with next practice :)
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    heh heh heh. been there done that lucy. it can only get better ;) that's positive feedback from the coach though, that's got to make you feel good.

and +1 on the bass dude. i've never played with a bad one yet. they all seem to be so chilled, laid back, easy to get along with, and the most non attention seeking member of the band!

good luck with next practice :)
    See, the main bassist I've played with is my brother, so that's NOT the case haha!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    It's good to hear all these things from you guys because last night was my first gig with this new band and I barely knew the songs to begin with. I had to write down chords and notes for everything. About 1 hour before I get to the gig they decide to change the setlist. That really pissed me off because I had everything written in my book in perfect order and i was ready to go. Nontheless everything went amazing last night and I just kind of winged it but I had a blast. It seems when you play live, things just go well. My first gig was a really good experience. I have only been playing 2 years and I'm the only guitar player in the band so I play lead as well as rhythm but I really need to work on my soloing skills but that will come with time. I had a few solos last night but they all sound pretty similiar. The crowd was really into what we were playing and last night was actually a battle of the bands and we won!
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jam10, you had ablinder yesterday by the sound of it.

The main hassle for me was the crap amp I had, and I had a Recto in the car.

With 3 guitars in the band, I figured I should hang back a bit on some things, to give other people space etc, but their idea of "lead" is tha I play pretty muh all the interesting , melodic, fill and solo parts and the "rhythm provides an underpinning by strumming chords".
    Weirdly, that statement came from the coach while we were working out who played what on Satisfaction, and it's Keith Richards who I got teh quotwe from, "I don't rhythm or lead, I play guitar"
    Rhythm and lead is a stupid distinction.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    since when do bands have a "coach" ?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    This might be a stupid question but.....what does ablinder mean?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    a blinder means you pulled it off, and all went well, even better than expected.

it's really a compliment i guess.

good to see it all went good for you jam10.
    the wolf wrote:
    since when do bands have a "coach" ?

When they are at band camp for gumbies !!

Jam10, a "blinder" is is a wildly successful streak, probably originates from "blind drunk", meaning "had a big one".
    Interestingly , this probably goes back to the reason why methanol is added to ethanol to make methylated spirit. It is done to make it undrinkable, as methanol is metabolised to formic acid, which kills your optic nucleus in the brain, resulting in blindness. Unfortunately, drunks don't know that, and "drink themselves blind" anyway.
    Possibly it also means that you made everyone else look blind, after a strtong run on a football field for example, I dunno.
    It's just Aussie slang, and is definitely a compliment.

BTW, how did the gig go ??
    Thanks buddy for the compliment. I really appreciate it. You guys here are all great! The gig went amazing. Way better than I expected. Playing live is just an unbelievable experience, I love it!
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    When they are at band camp for gumbies !!

oh.

cool. glad it went well.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Jam10, you had ablinder yesterday by the sound of it.

The main hassle for me was the crap amp I had, and I had a Recto in the car.

With 3 guitars in the band, I figured I should hang back a bit on some things, to give other people space etc, but their idea of "lead" is tha I play pretty muh all the interesting , melodic, fill and solo parts and the "rhythm provides an underpinning by strumming chords".
    Weirdly, that statement came from the coach while we were working out who played what on Satisfaction, and it's Keith Richards who I got teh quotwe from, "I don't rhythm or lead, I play guitar"
    Rhythm and lead is a stupid distinction.

Great quote. Keith always refers to the stones guitar playing (sans the Mick Taylor era) as the ancient art of weaving. Both players play a lot of "lead" and "rhythm". I prefer that set up in a band myself.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Hey lucy.

Just checkin in. How's the band goin? I've been playing with a couple of guys for the last few months, one of whom I was in a band with about five years ago, and a new feller. It helps that two of us have had "one band under the bridge" if that makes sense. Bands... they can be real real difficult to pull off because everyone wants to be the lead guitar player or lead singer. Say, I just realized you mentioned in a post a while back that you are with me in being one of the handful of folks on the board who don't necessarily hate the edge. I caught this interview with him online a while back, and thought what he had to say about band collaboration was interesting. One of these days I'm going to get off my arse and check out the book he mentions:

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theview/archive/20080331.html

Good luck with the band. Personally I think music is a bit like literacy... anyone can learn as a kid... it takes more and more willpower to tackle it as time goes on, guts too in some ways. More power to you.
    Cheers.
    IDgotI wrote:
    Hey lucy.

Just checkin in. How's the band goin? I've been playing with a couple of guys for the last few months, one of whom I was in a band with about five years ago, and a new feller. It helps that two of us have had "one band under the bridge" if that makes sense. Bands... they can be real real difficult to pull off because everyone wants to be the lead guitar player or lead singer. Say, I just realized you mentioned in a post a while back that you are with me in being one of the handful of folks on the board who don't necessarily hate the edge. I caught this interview with him online a while back, and thought what he had to say about band collaboration was interesting. One of these days I'm going to get off my arse and check out the book he mentions:

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theview/archive/20080331.html

Good luck with the band. Personally I think music is a bit like literacy... anyone can learn as a kid... it takes more and more willpower to tackle it as time goes on, guts too in some ways. More power to you.
    Cheers.

HI, thanks.
    Things are going really well. There is just enough ego in the room to make us all work hard, and not so much that anyone wants to step on another.
    We've had a couple of great ptactice sessions, and thigs are coming together well, and we are playing tight.
    The other 2 guitar guys didn't show last night, and the core of singer/drummer/bass and me as sole guitar is working really well.
    The other guys can float back in and play some background rhythm or not, and it wouldn't matter to much.
    I'm enjoying the songs, and it really is a blast to play with other people.
    Just no PJ songs on the setlist.
    I'm an old U2 fan from way back but I can't download video.
    What's not to like about the Edge ?? I really don't understand the mob hatred here against U2.
    Cheers