DRum kit choice....

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Am buying a drum kit this week for me and me wifelet. The choice has come down to

Mapex Pro M
Gretsch Carolina Birch

I'm veering to the Gretsch, but the MApex is pretty blue, which my wife likes, adn it is mainly for her. There is also an Epaq bass head system the guy is pushing, any comments on that ?

Any comments about the two kits I've mentioned ?
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• id go for the mapex, they tend to be better quality kits all round, well thats what i feel
  • Please buy the Carolina. I believe them to be 100x better drums. I had a Mapex Pro M and hated it.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Please buy the Carolina. I believe them to be 100x better drums. I had a Mapex Pro M and hated it.

Yeah, I much prefer those. I think the birch will work better for my wife, cos she won't be hitting the skins like Bonzo, and it has nice Evans single ply Mylar heads, which I think will sound better for her as well. Excellent Gibraltar hardware, with a double kick pedal as well as an extra tom.
    All round a reall sweet bit of gear.
    After negotiating, they have a cpolour she likes, and it's only $400 more than teh MApex.
    Remember Oz prices are different , so that's not as big a gap as it sounds to you.
    OK, so we ordered the Gretsch kit today. The MApex was a porettier blue colour, but the Gretsch won on overall quality and value.
    Really excited about increasing the noise level in our home to include drum sounds.
    I had been looking at a drum machine, but this will be much more fun.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    everybody seems to be a fan of gretsch's. i happen to own the catalina maple 6 piece set, although that is their lower end model.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    everybody seems to be a fan of gretsch's. i happen to own the catalina maple 6 piece set, although that is their lower end model.

I think it says something that their low end model is a soliod maple kit. The one we ordered was a promo special, and has an exra tom, as well as a double kick pedal, all Gibraltar hardware, and a promo set of Sabian cymbals, which altogether added up to a really solid deal.
    I am lucky enough o own high end guitars and amps, and sadly, once you get used to listening to good gear, you don't really want to hear crappy stuff, no matter what instrument. Plus, I really feel taht if you buy quality top start, it will be much nicer to use, and keep the motivation going.
    I have a really nice Gretsch guitar as well, so I have an affinity there.
  • You certainly chose the right set, trust me.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think it says something that their low end model is a soliod maple kit. The one we ordered was a promo special, and has an exra tom, as well as a double kick pedal, all Gibraltar hardware, and a promo set of Sabian cymbals, which altogether added up to a really solid deal.
    I am lucky enough o own high end guitars and amps, and sadly, once you get used to listening to good gear, you don't really want to hear crappy stuff, no matter what instrument. Plus, I really feel taht if you buy quality top start, it will be much nicer to use, and keep the motivation going.
    I have a really nice Gretsch guitar as well, so I have an affinity there.
    Is the set purple too:p
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Is the set purple too:p

No, you cheeky sod, it's a nice pretty blue. I'll post some pics when we get it. Should be tomorrow, or Tuesday at the latest.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    No, you cheeky sod, it's a nice pretty blue. I'll post some pics when we get it. Should be tomorrow, or Tuesday at the latest.
    That's awesome.
    Purple drums would be amazing though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    That's awesome.
    Purple drums would be amazing though.

She did have her eye on a second hand professional hire set, which had Vegas Nightmare purple carpet finish. I headed her off wiht a hand grenade or two.