New audio amp...very excited !!

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm a tad excited today, this arrived in the post

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360042609178&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

Considering that a basic tube audio amp new here is around $2800, and that is 3 watts with a solid state pre-amp only, I'm pretty chuffed I got this for $300 delivered.
I'm still at work, but I can't wait to get home and fire it up. I just bid on a copy of Ten on vinyl too, so that will be a magic combination.

Ebay, for all it's warts, has brought so many opportunities to me.
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    congrats on the purchase. i'm not the hugest fan of ebay for gear, especially for the bigger items because i just can't imagine paying big dollars for something i have not seen or touched or played, but you did alright here :)
    nice pickup.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Well jeez... it sure looks the stuff! It seems as though there should be dry ice fog pouring down around it. Gorgeous. If it sounds even a fraction as good as it looks you should be in sonic heaven.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Wow, beautiful. That should breath some life into the music.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    OK, so I get home to check this out and it is as good in teh flesh as in the pics. MAde in China , Australian design, which explains some of the cheap price, but the quality is good, everything is well done and well finished.
    Plugged it in and fired it up, everything glows like it should, played jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" for a test run upstairs, and totally blown away by the clarity and separation of instruments.
    later I took it downstairs and listened to some vinyl, then a bunch of CD's. Everythign sounded so good, I was quickly dragging out stuff I jhad not listened to in ages.
    The best was Jimi's Are You Experieinced. I was always a bit meh on that, but through the tube amp it was a radically different experience.
    Another highlight was "Come Back" form the Avocado.
    The percussion in the intro was so detailed and in my face.
    I listened to the whole of Yield too, great also.
    I had to drag myself away at midnight to go to bed, it was that good.
    I know some peeps here have tube audio, but any chance anyone gets to try it out, go for it.
    Music is not a competetion.