Wrap around Bridges

IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What are your experiences with wrap around bridges? Some top end fixed bridge PRS guitars have them. Some Hamer's have them. They are the one piece bridges found on early Gibsons before the Tune-O-Matic. Opinions about them seem to fall into two camps.

1. They are better than all other fixed bridge designs because they contribute to sustain.

2. They are worse than all other bridge designs because they make it impossible to intonate.

What do you think? I've read a lot online that suggests the intonation issue is overblown... and I've also read stuff suggesting it's simply impossible to keep a fixed bridge instrument reliably in tune.

I'm curious because long term intonation reliability is hard to check for when playing an instrument so I can't tell if concerns about a wrap around bridge are something I should take into account when considering buying an instrument. I mean normally the rule is if it sounds good and plays well then go for it... but of course if it turns out a wrap around bridge will make keeping the guitar in tune long term impossible, or cause it to need constant set ups... I guess that would be another thing to consider.

Again I just don't know. I've never had a guitar with a wrap around bridge, but I'm tempted by a used Hamer studio that I've run across with a Wilkinson wrap around, so I'm wondering what people here think.

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    They are fine if you get a quality made bridge - Some of these are actually adjustable
    http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1lg/4507/Pigtail_Aluminum_Wraparound_Bridge_Detail.jpg. And I don't think a company like
    PRS would use them if there was a problem. Yes, there can be intonation problems with non-
    adjustable
    wrap-around bridges, which is generally why you want to buy a really well made
    guitar that has very precise measurements (which helps to keep intonation issues to a minimum).
    I have an older '72 SG with a step compinsated wrap-around tailpiece (that's not really adjustable),
    similar to this:http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1lg/0209/SG_Junior_Bridge_Detail.jpg and surprisingly when set
    up properly it's in perfect intonation, and it rarely ever falls out of tune (crappy tuners and all).

Personally, I think having a bridge tight up against the body is the way to go if we're talking
    about the best "tone and sustain" - no floating tremolo will ever give you the kind of sustain
    or tone something tight against the body will - to me it just makes sense. I prefer the stop
    tail type bridges because everything just resonates far better than a floating trem. Maybe
    it's why I'm more of a Les Paul type guy - I prefer true tone, not perceived.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Overdue Thanks btw. Was traveling over the weekend.