(Reverb) Transformers

IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Apologies in advance to the more electrically minded of you if this a real dumb question... Sometimes asking is the only way to learn:

How much of a role do Transformers play in the sound of an amp, or specifically, Reverb Tank?

Is it the kind of thing that makes a difference the way using a 12at7 instead of a 12ax7 can change the sound and feel of a tube preamp, or is it more like the difference between different brands of power supply where all that matters is that the milliamprege and power output are correct?

I recently picked up a used Peavey Valverb with a replaced Reverb Transformer and I'm wondering if the replaced transformer has any impact on the sound. The swap appears to have been made with an electrically correct component (A Fender Reverb Transformer was used). My original understanding is the transformer just helps transfer / modulate current from one circut to another, so I was thinking it might not have a large role to play in the overall *sound*of a circut so much as it would just affect whether or not the circut functioned.... But I'm not sure, and I'm curious which is why I'm posting.

The used Valverb sounds fine, certainly there are no problems like buzz or hum or anything, and the reverb sounds pretty good, with the Tremelo sound esspecially sweet. I'm just wondering if I were to compare it to a "stock" piece if I'd notice a different charater or color to the sound based on the transformer alone.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Tremendous. Thanks very much!
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, i just ordered a new output transformer for my valve junior so we're going to put this to the test.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Good luck Btw! Thanks again for posting that link. It was just the thing.
  • exhausted wrote:
    well, i just ordered a new output transformer for my valve junior so we're going to put this to the test.

I left my transformer stock in my valve junior, my buddy put the good one in his. He has done a lot to his original factory circuit, been back and forth. The transformer helped out a lot. I'm just happy with exactly how my is set up right now.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/