Power Chords

MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey All, can someone post all of the power chords or a link to power chords chart for easy refrence, I've been confused with the B5's and what nots in various tabs. Thanks.
"Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    MLB5150 wrote:
    Hey All, can someone post all of the power chords or a link to power chords chart for easy refrence, I've been confused with the B5's and what nots in various tabs. Thanks.

They're all the same as long as you're in standard tuning? Not sure what you mean.

e
    B
    G--5--
    D--5--
    A--3--
    E
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    They're all the same as long as you're in standard tuning? Not sure what you mean.

e
    B
    G--5--
    D--5--
    A--3--
    E

Just want ot clarify that this is C5, not B5

To answer the question, power chords can be based on either the low E string, or the Low A string. This is probably where your confusion is coming from. On teh E string, the root, B, is on the seventh fret , so the other strins you fret and play are on the 9th fret. The second fret on the A string ( second fattest one) is the same B note, so functions as the same root. The other notes you fret are on teh 4th fret, in the pattern noted above by giventocarve. That pattern is movable up and dfown the neck.
    You really need to get a lesson from anyone who can play and they can sort this out for you.
    This is a good example of the shortcomings of trying to teach youreself, and disdaining teaching. YOu have probably already wasted hours on this.

Find someone to ive you a few lessons, learn the basic scales, learn the names of the notes of the first two strings, and you will have openend up a whole new world.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    Just want ot clarify that this is C5, not B5

To answer the question, power chords can be based on either the low E string, or the Low A string. This is probably where your confusion is coming from. On teh E string, the root, B, is on the seventh fret , so the other strins you fret and play are on the 9th fret. The second fret on the A string ( second fattest one) is the same B note, so functions as the same root. The other notes you fret are on teh 4th fret, in the pattern noted above by giventocarve. That pattern is movable up and dfown the neck.
    You really need to get a lesson from anyone who can play and they can sort this out for you.
    This is a good example of the shortcomings of trying to teach youreself, and disdaining teaching. YOu have probably already wasted hours on this.

Yes. I understand the theory behind it, but when looking up tabs and seeing various power chords I don't know what they are with out looking each one of them up. I know it is the same finger/ fret positioning for each one and you just slide up and down the neck. And I also know that it is played either on the B or low E string, I'm lost in only knowing names not theory, and I could probably figure each one out but it would take me a while and be a pesk if i forget.
    MLB5150 wrote:
    Yes. I understand the theory behind it, but when looking up tabs and seeing various power chords I don't know what they are with out looking each one of them up. I know it is the same finger/ fret positioning for each one and you just slide up and down the neck. And I also know that it is played either on the B or low E string, I'm lost in only knowing names not theory, and I could probably figure each one out but it would take me a while and be a pesk if i forget.

OK, so you find them by knowing the names of teh root notes. All bar chords are movable forms.

The notes are on teh E string
    open E
    1st fret F, then 2nd fret F#, G, G# etc

each fret is a semi-tone.

There is a sharp/flat between each natural note except B/C and E/F, so there is no such thong as B#/Cb or E#/Fb

It's pretty easy to learn the notes, even if you just sit there reciting it over and over. Do that when youpractice a scale, say each note name out loud, they will stick eventually.
    MLB5150 wrote:

Ah I see what it is. You just need to learn the notes on the neck. The name of the chord will always be the root note in this case, which is where your index finger goes. So for B5... u just need to find the B, put your index finger on it, and shape the chord form. NOTE: THIS WILL ONLY WORK FOR THE CHORD FORM IF THE ROOT IS ON THE E OR A STRING. OTHERWISE THE FORM WILL HAVE A FLAT NOTE ( Haha Ken I knew that was C5 and not B5. I was just using an example... my mistake for not clarifying that to him).
    http://www.allmusicmethods.info/chordguide/guitarnecknotes.gif

An easy way to remember the order is they are A through G. Every note has a sharp in front of it except for "B" and "E". For example... start on the A string and the notes are A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A
    Notice there is no B#. Go straight to C. Same with the 8th Fret. It's F and not E#. Hope it helps. I'm sure there's a few mistakes in there :)
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    Ok i got it now.

But if a certain chord with the low E used as a root sounds wrong, do i find the same chord on the A string?
    MLB5150 wrote:
    Ok i got it now.

But if a certain chord with the low E used as a root sounds wrong, do i find the same chord on the A string?

They should sound the same, but you get different tonal reponse from the different strings. remember if the root is on the A string, don't play the E string, wrap your thumb over the top and mute it.

Often it's more about which chord you have come from and which one you are going to which determines whether you play A or B for example, on the root 6th, or root 5th strings.

Example in Alivem when you get to the bridge, you play BBBB BBBB BB slide to F#, you can't do the slide if you are coming from the A string 2nd fret position, but you can if you are coming form the 7th fret E string position.

A C played on the 8fret is an octave higher then the one at 3, so it's still a C, but sounds differnet, so that makes a difference, big differenece.
    MLB5150 wrote:
    Ok i got it now.

Sounds wrong? I don't know but...

E5 A5
    e
    B
    G
    2---
    D -2----2---
    A -2----0---
    E--0
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Here you go - I created this chord chart for my students - all your "moveable" bar chords are on the bottom.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/CHORDS.jpg

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫