Help with new amp and future effects!

MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I traded my 15 watt fender dsp and $70 for an early 80's Yamaha G-50-11- II, a 100 watt solid state amp, a few days ago. It's very much kick ass, it's uber loud and I haven't got the chance to turn it up past 2; I don't want to scare my neighbors.

Anyways I'm looking into buying 2 pedals

1. A multi effect pedal like this Behringer: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-X-VAMP-Floor-Unit-Guitar-Processor?sku=480732
This covers alot of things; I'm hoping. It has differnet amp models, mulitpile digital effects (flange, chrous, etc), and an accoustic simulation. Plus a level/wah/ volume pedal. And it's dirt cheap. Is it good?

2. A distortion pedal, something good for modern rock. Not too metallic or chuncky but just warm and full.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Hot-Head-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150833
This sounds good to me, via the soundbites, and on ebay it runs fairly cheap. Also it has alot of adjustments for good tweeking. Is this good?

So what I am asking is, are these pedals/ effects any good, will they work we'll with the amp I have, and will they create a sutible set up for an intermediate guitarist like myself?

Also, I have never owned any pedals so I have virtually no idea how to hook them up. On the my amp there are two inputs, high and low, and a switch to go from either; there is also two "on" positions on the power switch, one up one down. On back there is a section for "footswitches" one labeled A/B the other reverb. The amp originally came with a footswitch, but was sold away. And then there is a direct out port and a speaker exit.

Could some one explain how one would hook these up or post a link about this sort of thing.

I know its a lot of stuff to look at but I hope I can get some help.

Thanks.
"Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I would NOT buy a multi effects. IMO, wait it out and get singles. Multis will always leave you wanting more (someone else here said it). For a good basic Distortion, you can't go wrong with a Boss DS-1. Then you could get a chorus, or flange, or wah, or something else next. Trust me, it'll be more expensive, but it'll sound SO much better.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    keeponrockin is absolutely right. dont get a multi. with time, you'll get sick of it and trade that sucker in. it happened to me, and 50% of the guitar world. at first you'll think it's so cool, but trust me, the effects are not as quality as individuals, you'll be wanting more, and it is harder to get the exact sound tweaked how you want.

as for a warm distortion, the ds-1 which i've had for one night, sounds great, but the ibanez ts9 turbo tube screamer is just amazing for that sort of thing. plus, since you have a solid state amp, it would be a very smart move to get a tube driven dist/od pedal. but it's a little more classic sounding rather than modern. tell yah what though, as i discovered tonite when i picked up the ds-1, it sounds amazing in conjunction with the ts9 and THAT is what you are looking for. trust me. pacomc79 told me, and tonite i bought the ds-1 after i've had the ts9 for a long time, and together they are the ULTIMATE distortion/overdrive combo. it can be modern, classic, heavy..but never losing tone or warmth. plus the ds-1 is 40 bucks!! just get both man...whats a 40 buck difference when you get such a great outcome. pick both up.

if you want effects, multis are bad. phase 90 is a fantastic phaser from what i've played of it. [got it tonite as well]. you can get some vibey sounds from it too. but keep in mind, there are so many different effects pedals that are very good. research up, test some out, look at prices, and make your decision.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Definatelyl stay off the multi effects pedal train. You will regret it in the future.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    I regret selling my DS-1! I think I may buy another one, I just didn't like it through my amp for the 5 minutes I used it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    So it seems that the Boss DS-1 pedal is better than the digitech hot head? So this should be my first pedal?

Also any ideas for hooking it all up?
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    always go with boss over digitech. get the ds-1 but i'm telling you, get the ts9 turbo with it. tube screamer + ds-1 = exactly what you want.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
    MLB5150 wrote:
    So it seems that the Boss DS-1 pedal is better than the digitech hot head? So this should be my first pedal?

Also any ideas for hooking it all up?
    Guitar cord>DS-1>Guitar cord>Amp
  • Personally I'd get a multi-effects first. If you don't know anything about effects it's a good start and you can gradually discover which effects you like and would use and which you wouldn't. They're not overexpensive, just don;t use the distortion on them. For distortion I'd recommend the Marshall Guv'nor or Jackhammer. For multieffects: Zoom G2.1u.