Inspiration for lyrics

amitamit Posts: 73
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, you know over the last year i have written so many songs that are just guitar, but without lyrics. I have the whole songs chord progression and structure worked out, but no lyrics.

What should I write songs about? I've even written vocal melodies, but without actual words.

Man, any advice?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    movies, books, news stories, personal experience. imagine being a certain character and right from that prespective... etc...

i can't write lyrics worth shit but the people that have that gift can turn the story of a cat taking a piss into poetry.
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    maybe you could check teh poetry, art, etc forum on the board for inspiration, there are some really talented people on this board

just be careful not to just rip other people's lyrics, but maybe just reading them will grant you some insight in their talent
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • record your guitar parts on a tape recorder, then play it back several times and just close your eyes and turn your mind OFF. melodies and lyrics will find you. usually when you just plain listen to a piece of music an image or a feeling will just naturally pop in there. and its fucking beautiful.

be sure to have a pen handy.

my 3 cents.
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I normally write about a friend of mine. That's just me though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • amitamit Posts: 73
    Wow! Man those are some really awesome ideas. Thanks a lot. I suppose its also just a lot of practice, and allowing your thoughts to be free and not holding back.

And Meine leibe, i'll try that idea of yours. Funny thing though, just last night I was jamming away on my guitar and I found this neat sounding guitar riff. So I actually did close my eyes while I was playing it, and the first thought that came to me was this moment a week ago when this girl I know waved and smiled at me. It was a pretty insignificant moment, and it didn't really mean much, I hardley even know the girl. But even so, I started singing lyrics about that moment, and how I felt and though and how that linked onto a bit more. And as I sang it, I felt myself really connect with the music, and it felt very right.

Too me, music is more about the actual sound and feeling, yet I feel like I shouldn't just write songs about nothing (like damn Noel Gallagher!). I guess having meaningful lyrics does add a lot to a song.
  • yep, thats what I am talking about. sometimes it just pops in there like it was meant to be. good luck
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg