Guitar notes per second

amitamit Posts: 73
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay look, I don't want anyone to go an about how 'faster isn't always better', i'm aware of that.

I'm just curious about guitar speeds. Like does anyone know how fast guitarists like Vai and Satch can play in terms of notes-per-second? (in terms of picking and hammer/pull-off seperatley)

And what would you consider a reasonable saturation point for speed picking? Like, at what speed would you really need hammer ons and pull-offs to get any faster.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Probablythe wrong forum. I like Satch, but I have no clue how fast he plays in nps.
    I'm sure there is a shred forum somewhere.
    Hammer-ons and pull-offs are more about tonal effect than speed.
    I practice picking separate notes at tremolo picking speed, but only so I can play slower easily, not so I can play at tremolo speed.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    amit wrote:
    I'm just curious about guitar speeds. Like does anyone know how fast guitarists like Vai and Satch can play in terms of notes-per-second? (in terms of picking and hammer/pull-off seperatley)..
    Satch around 17.6 nps and Vai an insane 20.8 nps
  • amit wrote:
    Okay look, I don't want anyone to go an about how 'faster isn't always better', i'm aware of that.

I'm just curious about guitar speeds. Like does anyone know how fast guitarists like Vai and Satch can play in terms of notes-per-second? (in terms of picking and hammer/pull-off seperatley)

And what would you consider a reasonable saturation point for speed picking? Like, at what speed would you really need hammer ons and pull-offs to get any faster.

In John Petrucci's video, he plays sixteenth notes cleanly at a metronome setting of 216 for the quarter note.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Satch around 17.6 nps and Vai an insane 20.8 nps

Yes , I believe I read about some scientific experiment where a Vai solo was broken down on a computer and it was discovered that he had averaged 20.8 notes per second .

This was the most notes per second that the experimenters could find .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Why the interest in speed???
    I was able to play fairly fast on this tune, although I just matched Steve Vai (and he can play a lot faster).
    I begin to speed up near the middle. click here: My attempt to play fast
    Supposedly the fastest recorded guitar playing was from a guy named Marcus Paus (44.6-notes per second).
    The song was "Caspersens Secret Fetish" (here's a link): http://fabienm.club.fr/paus/secret.mp3
    It just sounds like a bunch of noise to me.
    There is a list somewhere that names everyone with their fastest recorded notes per second.
    John Petrucci is quite fast, so here's some of his reccomendations.

01. One should always start playing from 80 (or less). Then we should increase the tempo by 10 beats everytime
    (Depends on us). Only then will we able to get to our target speed.

02. Try playing something faster than your target speed, then try your target speed. This means if 150 beats per
    minute is your target. Try 160 first even if you cant. Then try 150, it will be a lot easier. You will feel more
    comfortable. (Keep in mind you are working your way up the metronome).

03. Play a pattern (In one string) at a slow speed a few times, then at a greater speed (The Fastest you can)
    the next few times, then again at a slow speed few times and then again at a fast tempo, and so on. You will find
    out your greater speed is increasing everytime you alternate. Keep in mind you dont need the metronome for this.

Below is an exercise that can help you build speed.
    You'll just need to practice a lot - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

1-2-3-4-3-2

1-2-3
    4-3-2

1-2-3
    4-3-2

1-2-3
    4-3-2

1-2-3
    4-3-2-
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Why the interest in speed???

I found amit's original post kinda hard to reply to, because he said he didn't want anyone going on about 'faster isn't better because he already knows that', so i thought 'ok, i'm just gonna shut up then'. He also didn't give any idea where he is at with his playing so it's hard to provide any input. What sort of pick does he use? His angle? So much could be hampering him. Then i read your post and it's like wow. There he goes again. He say's everything just right. I just wanted to say, i always find your posts really helpful, and i enjoy them and your playing is amazing. So thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone.

The only thing i'd really add is i've played for 13 years and sure, speed is great and all, nice thing to have, but i was always taught never to strictly practice for speed alone. It will only hinder your playing. Practice playing clean, and even and the speed will come. Practicing just for speed will mess up your other attributes and techniques. You need to practice every day. Even on the days you only have a half hour spare. It really doesn't matter what you play, as long as you push yourself to sound cleaner, not necessarily faster. (though speed is a means to expression, there are other ones as well, such as dynamics and rhythmic effects).

When my brother was teaching me, i used to get frustrated because i wanted to play faster sooner than i should, he used to tell me to have patience and to set a solid tempo with a metronome, and then just get busy with subdividings. Say, for instance, you're playing a simple major (or even pentatonic) scales at 120bpm. Start with playing every note as quarter notes, then eighths, triplets, sixteenths... you might need to crank the metronome down to catch the speedier ones, but every step you make is important. There's no shame in practicing slow, and slowing it down helps with being able to hear your tone. Only when you can play an exercise perfectly in time with good tone should you even be worrying about speeding it up.
  • amitamit Posts: 73
    Hey PJ_Gurl,

I'm an okaaayish guitarist. I can play about 3 notes per second (4 after warming up a lot). And thats playing cleanly.

I just made this thread out of curiosity. I'm not out there to be a shredder, but in my opinion, for me to be the guitarist that I want to be, shredding is an important skill to have.

But I totally agree, practice playing cleanly, not playing fast. Otherwise you will be doing more harm than good.
    oh and ianvomsaal,

I listened to your cover. Awesome job man! It was really really well done!

That is one of my most favourite songs. It gives me the chills man
    amit wrote:
    Hey PJ_Gurl,

I'm an okaaayish guitarist. I can play about 3 notes per second (4 after warming up a lot). And thats playing cleanly.

I just made this thread out of curiosity. I'm not out there to be a shredder, but in my opinion, for me to be the guitarist that I want to be, shredding is an important skill to have.

But I totally agree, practice playing cleanly, not playing fast. Otherwise you will be doing more harm than good.

That's cool..I wish you the best with it..hope some of the comments helped. .and i just noticed you are from New Zealand! My favorite songwriter (Neil Finn) and one of my favorite bands (Shihad) come from there. Shihad Rawk! Check them out if you have not already :)
    Shihad rock! I've seen them live three times!
    They are one of the best live acts out there. They connect with the audience so well and put out a really energetic show.

Crowded house are playing in Auckland soon, but its a bit expensive so meh....

Love the Finns though. I wish I went to the 7 worlds collide show (where eddie v and neil and a whole lot more guys played in Auckland).