pearl jam unplugged, mike and stone's guitars?

evenflow79evenflow79 Posts: 10
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
i managed to get a copy of mtv pearl jam unplugged, which was done in like the early 90's. does anyone know what guitars stone and mike are playing in it?

cheers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey!

first of all the gear was rental gear (although i believe dave's drums are his own, they look teh part anyways), so the gear may not be what they prefer. im not exactly sure what models though...mike and stone each had 2 or 3 guitars, as did jeff with basses (he had a 12 string and 2 4 strings)

Mike played a 12 string on a few songs. Regardless the guitars weren't EQ'd that nicely but its still a very good show.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Brandwise, they were Washburns and Takamines, as noted in the credits. Beyond that, who knows?
  • biffhardon wrote:
    Brandwise, they were Washburns and Takamines, as noted in the credits. Beyond that, who knows?

yeah your right i was too lazy to search through discs to watch the credits. Chances are you would never be able to find a similar guitar i wouldnt invest too much time researching. Majority were small bodies, and usually companies change those designs ALOT, they never release the same small body design more than 2 or 3 years. why? im not sure, maybe technology of actually making it sound bigger kept advancing, as well as pickups and what not. To be honest, when recorder the mid-range priced acoustic all sound about the same after EQ and compression to your tastes. What i like to go for is the live pressence, and how dynamic you can make yoru instrument. But for the pit's sake, they were washburns and takamines.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I had no idea they were rented. Why would they rent their gear if they knew they'd be putting on a live show in front of millions? Crazy! I haven't seen that video in a long time but if I had to guess what they were playing I would NEVER assume they were Tak. and Washburns.
    And why wouldn't they rent the likes of Gibson, Martin or Taylor?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    mca47 wrote:
    I had no idea they were rented. Why would they rent their gear if they knew they'd be putting on a live show in front of millions? Crazy! I haven't seen that video in a long time but if I had to guess what they were playing I would NEVER assume they were Tak. and Washburns.

according to the account i read, they were straight off of a tour in europe and all their gear was in shipping back to seattle while they were to NY. and apparently what they requested didn't materialize so there was a scramble to get whatever they could.
  • mca47 wrote:

i live in japan, and i can tell you first hand that there isn't a Takamine guitar that I have played that I haven't just adored. In fact, the next acoustic that I buy will be a Takamine. Of course, brands like Gibson, Martin and Taylor are renowned for their sound and craftsmanship, however Takamine's are incredible.

In all honesty, if I had money to only buy one acoustic guitar, I would choose a Takamine over a Gibson or Taylor any day. Now Martin would be a tossup, however I still lean a little to the Takamine.

Just my two cents...

Until the next time...
    Cheers
    "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" ~ Jimi Hendrix
  • Until the next time...
    Cheers

Oooh I liked that....

"until next time..."

Very mysterious ;)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Oooh I liked that....

"until next time..."

Very mysterious ;)

(in sideshow mel voice)

"WILL HE EVER RETURRRRN!"

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I do like Taks, but my greatest acoustic experience was at my drummers house. He's loaded and his mom has a GORGEOUS Taylor. I would never touch it, but she went out and said 'O and Chris, feel free to play the guitar' I was thrilled. Anyways, well everyone was shootin pool downstairs I was upstairs just jammin on the Taylor in this massive family room. I tell you, it was magical.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I do like Taks, but my greatest acoustic experience was at my drummers house. He's loaded and his mom has a GORGEOUS Taylor. I would never touch it, but she went out and said 'O and Chris, feel free to play the guitar' I was thrilled. Anyways, well everyone was shootin pool downstairs I was upstairs just jammin on the Taylor in this massive family room. I tell you, it was magical.

Yeah, my next purchase will be a Taylor 700 series. I don't think money can buy a better sounding guitar. No only does it sound like heaven but it feel sooooo good playing it.
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    acoustic
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    oh to purchase a full-bodied koa acoustic....that would be heaven...anyone ever play one of these? perhaps the taylor john denver? holy shit the resonation on it is absolutely gorgeous....simply amazing.....i wonder how the Tama limited edition Koa drum set sounded...hmmmmm

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • I own a G-series takamine and it sounds incredible...

The action could be lower though, but it's just a great guitar...
    When this just feels like spinning plates.