Buying a guitar online

dcjdcj Posts: 7
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm considering buying a guitar online (through http://www.worldmusicsupply.com, which seems to have the best price), but am hesitant because, well, it seems like a gamble. I'd much prefer to go to a store and actually play the guitar first, but no stores around here have the guitar make and model I want. So I was wondering what you folks think of buying online. Success stories? Horror stories?
My gut tells me to be patient, take my time and wait until I come across the guitar in person; then I can play it, examine it, and decide from there. It's not like I have to buy it today (or at all!).
But I'd like to hear what others have to say.
Thanks for you time.
DJ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I bought my first electric online. I can't remember the store but it was a pleasant experience. Since it was my first I didn't really care too much about specs and such so I didn't need to play it. For more experienced players they'll want to get their hands on it before they buy. It could be a lot different than what you expect.

(Also, you should be able to look at various user reviews of the instrument AND the web site.)

What are you trying to get?
  • I've bought a guitar on line, and a bass. Never had a problem. Both thru musiciansfriend. Fortunately anymore between the local privately owned guitar store and the local guitar center one of them will meet or beat the internet prices. No matter what I still try to feed my business to the private guy, even if its $10 more.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Find a store that has the one you want to buy go play it and if you like it buy it online.
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I bought two guitars site unseen online, not from musiciansfriend though. One from a guy off this board, and the other through eBay, and both were great purchases. I had no issues, other than the condition that I already knew the guitar was in. Worst case, just try them out before you buy online so you know you like the model, and most online places have a decent return policy. Good luck.
  • sandozsandoz Posts: 166
    if i can recommend this store : http://www.musik-produktiv.com/... 3 guitars, an ampli bought ... and a "formidable" CAPO !!!!! (arff finally ! ) No worry with them.
  • I'm always a fan of buying local if possible, because later down the line you have a bit of a relationship with the shop. If you can't get what you want locally, though, Musicians Friend has a great return policy if what you get isn't what you expected. It is good to try to get the feel of a guitar first, if you can, though.

Also check out Harmony Central for user reviews, like said above. Don't completely depend on the info, but you tend to get the jist of what people think of what you want.

http://www.harmony-central.com/User_Reviews/

Ha ha,,, what ARE you looking for? :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • I got my Strat through eBay and it's performed pretty well for being second-hand. Know what you're getting though- I reccomend that you only buy new and from a source you trust. Musician's Friend is a good one online, but certainly try out stuff before you buy online. Guitar Center (if you can find one in your area) will have the largest array of stuff in a single store so if you can, just come in with a list of 3 or 4 guitars and go nuts, they should just let you play them in peace and see what you like.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    I got my Strat through eBay and it's performed pretty well for being second-hand. Know what you're getting though- I reccomend that you only buy new and from a source you trust. Musician's Friend is a good one online, but certainly try out stuff before you buy online. Guitar Center (if you can find one in your area) will have the largest array of stuff in a single store so if you can, just come in with a list of 3 or 4 guitars and go nuts, they should just let you play them in peace and see what you like.
    Got one there too and i love it!!!
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.