Jeremy

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yeah, it's probably my favorite PJ song because it go me started into the band. Anyway, has Jeff always used a 12, live? During the '03 shows, it sounds like a 4, and a 6 in the '00 shows. I've seen some shows from 2000 where he's got a 12 (and a beautiful bass it is).
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• savmansavman Posts: 230
    Yeah, it's probably my favorite PJ song because it go me started into the band. Anyway, has Jeff always used a 12, live? During the '03 shows, it sounds like a 4, and a 6 in the '00 shows. I've seen some shows from 2000 where he's got a 12 (and a beautiful bass it is).

I dont reckon he would use a 4 string. Maybe a six string. That outro he plays uses the B string from memory which would make it a hassle with 4 strings?
  • savman wrote:
    I dont reckon he would use a 4 string. Maybe a six string. That outro he plays uses the B string from memory which would make it a hassle with 4 strings?
    Yeah, I was thinking that too
  • So far as I know, Jeff has always used a 12-string for Jeremy, and has never played a 5-string or 6-string. The only uncertainty in my mind is whether he's ever used an 8-string for Jeremy (or anything else, for that matter).

The 12-string bass is similar to a 12-string guitar, except it has 4 groups of three strings, and the groups are one standard bass string with two sympathetic super-octave strings that are the exact same (guage and tuning). So, from low to high, it's a standard bass E with two E strings one octave higher, then a standard bass A with two A strings one octave higher, etc. To play one note, you fret the three strings together. It's tough.

An 8-string is similar, except there is only one sympathetic octave string paired to each bass string. That means you play two strings to play one note. The 12-string is just a little more "chimey".

A 5-string is the same as a 4-string, but adds a B string below the E (just like a 7-string guitar). A 6-string typically has the low B as well as a B above the G. There are even 7- and 8-string basses like this, but the tuning for those varies based on the player (some like an even lower string than the low B, some prefer low-B or low-E through a high E or high A, some use weird alternate tunings). It's nuts... the fretboards are wider than most LA freeways.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • So far as I know, Jeff has always used a 12-string for Jeremy, and has never played a 5-string or 6-string. The only uncertainty in my mind is whether he's ever used an 8-string for Jeremy (or anything else, for that matter).

The 12-string bass is similar to a 12-string guitar, except it has 4 groups of three strings, and the groups are one standard bass string with two sympathetic super-octave strings that are the exact same (guage and tuning). So, from low to high, it's a standard bass E with two E strings one octave higher, then a standard bass A with two A strings one octave higher, etc. To play one note, you fret the three strings together. It's tough.

An 8-string is similar, except there is only one sympathetic octave string paired to each bass string. That means you play two strings to play one note. The 12-string is just a little more "chimey".

A 5-string is the same as a 4-string, but adds a B string below the E (just like a 7-string guitar). A 6-string typically has the low B as well as a B above the G. There are even 7- and 8-string basses like this, but the tuning for those varies based on the player (some like an even lower string than the low B, some prefer low-B or low-E through a high E or high A, some use weird alternate tunings). It's nuts... the fretboards are wider than most LA freeways.
    I remember reading that Jeff had a Hamer 8-string, somewhere.