Phase 90 or phase 100

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm thinking of getting a phaser that doesn't suck tone, like my digitech hyper phase. Problem is, I want to have the options my digi has (well, mainly the first type of phaser). Anyway, which would you all suggest I get?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    I'm thinking of getting a phaser that doesn't suck tone, like my digitech hyper phase. Problem is, I want to have the options my digi has (well, mainly the first type of phaser). Anyway, which would you all suggest I get?
    i really like the phase 90 better. yeah, you can get some more diverse tones from the 100, but i love the simplicity and ease of the 90.
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i had a phase 100. i found that the only setting i used was the one akin to the phase 90. so now i just have a phase 90.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I had a Phase 90 and what bugged me so much was that there was no level control, so I could never get a light shimmering phase. I now have a TC Nova Modulator, which is basically a multi effects modulation, has phase, flange, chorus, trichorus, vibrato and trem, all with level rate and depth controls. Couldn't be happier, but it did cost me $185 used. Maybe worth considering if you're a stickler like I am.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I used a Boss PH-3 or whatever for a while, and enjoyed it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • What about the Phase shifter from BOSS?
  • Phase 90. Avoid the Boss PH-3; horrible tone suck and volume drop.
  • Phase 90. Avoid the Boss PH-3; horrible tone suck and volume drop.
    Ah, same problem I've got with the current phaser. Thanks for the help
  • ccpaccpa Posts: 32
    Try the retro-sonic phaser. Its fantastic and has a level (volume) knob so you can increase/decrease the effect when engaged.
  • ccpa wrote:
    Try the retro-sonic phaser. Its fantastic and has a level (volume) knob so you can increase/decrease the effect when engaged.
    Is there a link to where I can find it?
  • ccpaccpa Posts: 32
    Try pedalgeek.com or tonefactor.com
  • ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    I have a phase 90 but it sits in a box because I have a Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter and LOVE it! Given, mine is from the early 70s (I picked it up at a garage sale for $6 and it's worth around $200 now!).
    Even the stock Small Stones you can buy now are really nice.

http://www.wwbw.com/Electro-Harmonix-USA-Small-Stone-i17308.music

nano: http://www.wwbw.com/Electro-Harmonix-Nano-Small-Stone-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-i758396.music

info and demo: http://www.ehx.com/products/small-stone-classic-chassis
  • Does the Phase 90 or phase 100 have a tone/volume drop? Also, is there a way I can boost the sound with my digitech phaser?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Does the Phase 90 or phase 100 have a tone/volume drop? Also, is there a way I can boost the sound with my digitech phaser?

no, if anything they have a very slight volume boost but i feel it's pretty insignificant.

the digitech has no level control but check your manual. maybe there's an internal control but i highly doubt it.
  • I've been thinking about buying the handwired '74 vintage pastiche Phase 90. It's got some of that vibey warble and warm throb, with the Gilmour swoosh of Wish You Were Here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MfawADpiWAE

That'd be my recommendation. I had an unconvincing '70s clone of it once, and I stupidly sold it. It was still better for me than any phaser I've had or tried since.
  • Analogman modded Small Stone would be my pick. The Small Stone is pretty much spot-on as far as phasing goes once the volume drop is fixed. More versatile than a Phase 90 too.