Fender Strat

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm doing a speech on how the Fender Stratocaster got popular in the 1950's and can't find ANYTHING on the lawsuit from Gretsch guitars. I heard this lawsuit was what made Fender change the Broadcaster to Telecaster and also where Leo received input for the strat design. Does anyone have an idea on where to look for this information or anything regarding the strat's growing popularity?

Being a college student, I procrastinated until the last moment. I pretty much have the body done, just this first part. I appreciate anything anyone can offer.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If I remember correctly, I don't think there really ever was a lawsuit. Gretsch threatened to sue because they had a drum set named Broadcaster but I think Fender just changed the name to Telecaster to calm it down.

You can use me as a footnote if you want! :D

(Reference- "Who's_pearljam? from his smash hit book, "I can't remember")
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • If I remember correctly, I don't think there really ever was a lawsuit. Gretsch threatened to sue because they had a drum set named Broadcaster but I think Fender just changed the name to Telecaster to calm it down.

You can use me as a footnote if you want! :D

(Reference- "Who's_pearljam? from his smash hit book, "I can't remember")
    Haha, all right. So basically..

"Fender was almost sued by the Gretsch company over the name "Broadcaster". In order to calm things down, Fender switched the name from Broadcaster to Telecaster. In doing so, Leo Fender asked for input from current Broadcaster/Telecaster users on a new design for a second Fender guitar. Suggestions from users included a double cutaway, three pickup, contoured body, with a floating bridge."

Anything else I should add?

I'm going to talk about the features of the strat (mentioned above). I'm bringing my tele, LP, and Strat for visual aides. I'll explain why the features are enjoyed. I'm planning on talking about the artists who made it famous-Beach Boys, Buddy Holly, Clapton, ect.

Again, should I add anything else?
  • Dick Dale helped to put the Strat on the map, too!

I think the defining moment in Strat history is this, though:
    If you want a good grade, go for the visuals! :D

http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/jimi_hendrix_biography.jpg
    Be kind, man
  • In your speach, will you explain why "The Beatles" didn't use Stratocasters in the early days?
  • jcmark611 wrote:
    In your speach, will you explain why "The Beatles" didn't use Stratocasters in the early days?
    Why didn't they?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    wrong link
    i shall return :)
    Time frame broadcaster -> stratocaster
    http://www.adirondackguitar.com/fender/telecaster_dating.htm
    Why didn't they?

In the early 1960s, the instrument was also championed by Hank Marvin - guitarist of the Shadows, a band which originally backed Cliff Richard and then produced instrumentals of its own. So distinctive was the Hank Marvin sound that many musicians - including the Beatles - initially deliberately avoided the Stratocaster and chose other marques. However, by 1965, George Harrison and John Lennon of the Beatles both acquired Stratocasters at about the time of the Rubber Soul recording sessions.

http://www.onlineguitarguide.co.uk/stratocaster.htm

there's other info there that will be useful for your talk.
  • Thank you PJ_Gurl
  • And as a side note, who did Hank Marvin inspire to pick up the guitar?
    about 2,000,000 people. give or take a few ;)
  • There was a time in between the Broadcaster and the Telecaster when they had no name at all, hence the Nocaster, which just said Fender on the headstock.
  • the gretsch drum set was called the Broadkaster, with a K
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • The Strat concept came about in conversations between Leo Fender and cowboy guitarist Bill Carson. Carson was a Tele player who voiced his concerns to Fender over some of the drawbacks of that model, such as the uncomfortable body shape, no individual bridge saddles, lack of vibrato, etc.
    The body shape had been drawn in 1951 by Freddie Tavares, a long time associate of Fender's. Fender associates George Fullerton and Don Randall also had some input on the design of the Strat. It's distinctive headstock design and six on a side tuner configuration was taken from guitars of that era designed and manufactured by Paul Bigsby, of Bigsby Vibrato fame.
    Some other interesting Stratocaster trivia includes the fact that it was almost dropped from the Fender line in the late sixties because of poor sales. It was saved by the popularity of Jimi Hendrix, who used Strats almost exclusively.
  • Really, if you want to make a short and concise talk, The strat came out and was somewhat of a hit amongst surf guitarists like Dick Dale because they wanted that tremolo/ vibrato, but like Piper at the Gates says, it wasn't really THAT popular, just a type of guitar until Jimi Hendrix showed up at Monterey Pop and lit it and the world on fire. That's when I wanted one!
    That, then his set at Woodstock had everyone wanting a Strat.
    There wasn't really the gearheadage that there is now.

Clapton didn't have much to do with the Strat in the early years until after Cream, on the Layla album but even then, there weren't that many pictures of him with a Strat.
    Clapton put the Les Paul on the map with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers album, then the SG with Cream.

He and Hendrix also put Marshall on the map, too. Clapton with the Bluesbreaker model, Hendrix and Noel Redding with lines of full stacks.
    Be kind, man
  • I got my paper back! I got a "BA" which is the same thing as an A-. Thanks to EVERYONE on this board for your help. I sited this board in my bibliography. Thank you ALL!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I got my paper back! I got a "BA" which is the same thing as an A-. Thanks to EVERYONE on this board for your help. I sited this board in my bibliography. Thank you ALL!
    Congrats!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V