Acoustic

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm using Martin Marquise M-150 80/20 Bronze strings now. I have already rules out Martin SP Mediums. I am looking for a brighter sound. Any suggestions?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Elixirs are bright. Too bright for mine. They stay that way for ages, too.
  • chopschops Posts: 19
    I'm interested in others thoughts on strings too. I started off using D'addario Lights, which were alright, and I went through them for a while. Sound was bright, but really well balanced when new I thought - but only seemed to last for a couple of days to a week before fading away. Then got onto some Martin SP4100 Lights, which I thought were really good actually. But then my new guitar came from the factory with Elixir Custom Lights, which I thought were a bit TOO bright at first. I either got used to them, or they faded away a bit, but they are by far the best sounding strings I've played... I think. They are the only strings I've ever had on my new guitar, and have nothing else to compare them to. Now I dunno why I shared all this, but at risk of hijacking this thread, I'd be really interested to see what others are playing and any suggestions too...

P.S. sorry for in no way answering your question!
  • Haha, it' cool.

My girlfriend bought a Yamaha Thinline APX500 electric acoustic that has awesome factory strings. I don't know what kind they are but I love the feel.Anyway I could find out what kind they are?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • My girlfriend bought a Yamaha Thinline APX500 electric acoustic that has awesome factory strings. I don't know what kind they are but I love the feel.Anyway I could find out what kind they are?

You could ask them.

https://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/WrappedTextDetail/0%2C%2CCNTID%2525253D544119%2C00.html

I personally use D'Addario EXP coated strings on acoustic, and I love them. But I don't know if that helps at all, because I love a mellower string tone on my acoustics. Elixers are probably a good bet, as are silk and steel strings:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=silk+and+steel&st=
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I'm using Martin Marquise M-150 80/20 Bronze strings now. I have already rules out Martin SP Mediums. I am looking for a brighter sound. Any suggestions?

You should check out Martin Clapton's Choice strings.

I was on the same mission as you and wanted something that was a little brighter than my SP 80/20's... but duller than the Elixir's.

I actually went through a lot of strings and found some other good ones too. I'll go back and try to figure out which ones were the best. What guitar do you have btw?
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • I'm currently using Elixir 11s on my acoustic. They work well, and are especially nice for sliding on my acoustic.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    +1 on the Elixir 11's (custom lights).
    I've used 11's for years (all I use on my Taylor) - My 814CE came setup with them back in 1999 and
    I liked the feel so much that I never changed gauges (I actually prefer the heavier polyweb coating).
    I had an endorsement with Elixir from '99-'03, and although I don't anymore I still buy these strings.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    elixir custom lights have always been my faves as well.
    my buddy uses d'adarrio blugrass strings & they have a nice feel as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com