Odd songs

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
During band practice today, I began writing a new song that's totally out of our normal sound. Are there any PJ songs which caused them to stretch their genre? I can't really think of any.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    soon forget

push me pull me.

a few of the vitalogy tracks.

lots of the b-sides.
  • I would say they've been experimental most of their career. W.M.A. is a very early one that is an "odd song" to me, but I love it. Glorified G and Tremor Christ as well.
  • I think all of Vitalogy was a step in a different direction for the band, even further with No Code. That was a lot of the "experimental" stage in my opinion. Yield was definitely more mainstream for them, except a couple like Push Me Pull Me.

Far as "Odd" songs go I'm frankly suprised that a lot of the songs on Lost Dogs didn't make the albums. Lost Dogs as a whole probably beats out No Code, Vitalogy, and Binaural for me.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • I think Push Me Pull Me, Red dot, MAYBE W.M.A.

I don't get Tremor Christ, that sounds like a normal (normal being an odd word of choice, itself) PJ song.

Soon Forget, I guess can count.
  • I don't get Tremor Christ, that sounds like a normal (normal being an odd word of choice, itself) PJ song.
    Normal compared to which songs? Not the regular rotation radio hits. It has a strange vibe to it and Mike is doing some weird things in the background. If it weren't for Ed's voice and the fact that I know it's PJ.....well I couldn't begin to guess the band.
  • This is a tough one because it's depends on your perspective of Pearl Jam. I was 13 when "Ten" came out but, probably didn't hear it until I was 14 as the album didn't really take off until '92. At the time "Ten" was a really great, straight ahead rock and roll album. A true classic that will stand up for a long time.

The next year everyone just went nuts for "Vs.", at least the first half of the record. "Animal", "Go", "Daughter", and "Glorified G" were all big hits but, at the time most people I knew didn't care for the second half of the album. For them it was "too strange". Little did they know that this was the direction Pearl Jam was going in.

I remember the day "Vitalogy" was released, it was raining, perfect weather for a dark album like that. I stuck the cassette in my car and drove around until the end of the album. I enjoyed it but, many of my friends really disliked it. "No Code" recieved an even colder reception but, I consider that the 2nd best album PJ put out. By the time "Yield" came along, many of my friends had given up on PJ. "They went too far from their roots", my friends would say.

Of course, many of you probably were too young to remember when the first 3 albums were released so, you are looking at it from a much different prespective than me.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Normal compared to which songs? Not the regular rotation radio hits. It has a strange vibe to it and Mike is doing some weird things in the background. If it weren't for Ed's voice and the fact that I know it's PJ.....well I couldn't begin to guess the band.
    Radio hits not withstanding, it still kinda sounds like a regular PJ song IMO. Just the distortion. Some bands kinda have their own distortion-anyone know what I'm getting at? "No Way" sounds a little different, too. That might just be because of Stone and his wah. Either way, I think Tremor Christ just has that PJ vibe with the drums, Ed's voice (give away) and the guitar tone. Mike's usually doing something weird in the background. During "Don't Gimme No Lip", Ed joins him on laughing ;) but seriously, I think that's just the wah which shows up a LOT in Mike's fills with Binaural and Yield.
  • How about "You Are" or the free jazz section somewhere.
    Lots of PJ stuff is "odd" which makes it normal for them. I like that. That's the beauty of albums, one man's dross is another man's pearl lining, with room to stretch out and try weird shit. Even the weird sounds at the beginning of Betterman on Vitalogy is odd by radio standards. And Foxymophandlemania ??
    Remember Ed is really just a surf bum at heart, and spent a lot of time stoned or at beach camp-fires. That leads to weird sounds.
    Great that you wrote a song totally out of your normal zone though. Bands that paint themselves into a genre style get boring quick.
    Ugg, even the whole ideas of classifying bands to genres is repulsive to me.
    THe only acceptable genre is Prog, which just means you play well, and are not afraid to try new stuff.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I thought Vitalogy really changed the band.

Vitalogy is one of the best sounding albums they've done and it took them from a compressed drums radio rock sound to a more natural raw sound. A tremendously huge change. I don't know if the guitars have sounded better on an album before or since than vitalogy. Maybe not all the tracks, but that album sounded fantastic.

The drummer style changes have revolutionized them several times too.

Yeah I totally agree on You Are.

Each album has it's own sound. I tend to wonder what other tracks they've recorded that didn't fit.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I thought Vitalogy really changed the band.

Vitalogy is one of the best sounding albums they've done and it took them from a compressed drums radio rock sound to a more natural raw sound. A tremendously huge change. I don't know if the guitars have sounded better on an album before or since than vitalogy. Maybe not all the tracks, but that album sounded fantastic.

The drummer style changes have revolutionized them several times too.

Yeah I totally agree on You Are.

Each album has it's own sound. I tend to wonder what other tracks they've recorded that didn't fit.
    Yeah, I gotta agree with You Are.
  • Who You Are

i remember the first time they played it on K-Rock here in new york, there was all this buzz that they were gonna play the new PJ song....and when the song ended, i remember the DJ was like "uh....well, it's...DIFFERENT....."

and for all the people who love Ten and only Ten, thats the kind of song they would point to and say "see, pearl jam sucks now!"

these are the same kind of people who are rejoicing at the moment that Metallica are "good again"
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    Who You Are

i remember the first time they played it on K-Rock here in new york, there was all this buzz that they were gonna play the new PJ song....and when the song ended, i remember the DJ was like "uh....well, it's...DIFFERENT....."

and for all the people who love Ten and only Ten, thats the kind of song they would point to and say "see, pearl jam sucks now!"

these are the same kind of people who are rejoicing at the moment that Metallica are "good again"
    St. Anger was a disappointment, though.
  • St. Anger was a disappointment, though.
    at least they got a great documentary out of it....i'm not into metallica at all, i just know everyone thought that album sucked......and in the last week two of my friends have called me to rave about the new album, knowing full well i don't give a shit about metallica - so it must be good!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    at least they got a great documentary out of it....i'm not into metallica at all, i just know everyone thought that album sucked......and in the last week two of my friends have called me to rave about the new album, knowing full well i don't give a shit about metallica - so it must be good!
    True. I got a buddy that's obsessed with them. One of the guys is from Kalamazoo so it hits home with me, I saw the house he grew up in.