Maxon vs. Ibanez

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Most of us know the famous "9" series. Is there a difference in sound between the Ibanez and Maxon versions of these effects? Any opinions on these? Anyone got an effect from the "9" series? I got an Ibanez FL-9 Flange and it's simply the greatest. I read it was analog. I think it's true since it's got a delay time knob on it. Can someone confirm this?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Maxon is kind of like the Keeley Mods of Boss Pedals, but with Ibanez.
    Maxon typically sounds better than Ibanez (better cap, resistors, etc).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    "In the 1970s, the Nisshin Onpa company who own the Maxon brand name developed and began selling a series of effect pedals in Japan. Hoshino Gakki licensed these for sale using the name Ibanez outside of Japan. These two companies eventually began doing less and less business together until Nisshin Onpa ceased manufacting the TS-9 reissue for Hoshino Gakki in 2002."

Per Wikipedia article

Exactly what Ian said since 02

The two companies have seperated and Maxon makes a higher quality product with slightly better components.

The old stuff is built by maxon but traded under the name Ibanez. Now they both have their own lines

They both probably use the JRC4558D chip still in their tube screamers
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • The above posts are correct. Pre-2002 stuff made by Maxon is likely to be identical to the Ibanez models as the circuit boards in both manufacturers are made by Maxon. Post-2002 is Maxon's attempt at boutique style stuff.
  • The above posts are correct. Pre-2002 stuff made by Maxon is likely to be identical to the Ibanez models as the circuit boards in both manufacturers are made by Maxon. Post-2002 is Maxon's attempt at boutique style stuff.
    ahh, didnt know about the post '02 stuff
  • Oh yeah, and it IS analog. In the vintage (ish) effects world, it's quite rare to come across digital pedals. And if it is digital it usually makes a big deal about it as it wasn't very common back in the day. I use an FL9 on my board at the moment, although I struggle to find much use for flangers these days.
  • Oh yeah, and it IS analog. In the vintage (ish) effects world, it's quite rare to come across digital pedals. And if it is digital it usually makes a big deal about it as it wasn't very common back in the day. I use an FL9 on my board at the moment, although I struggle to find much use for flangers these days.
    I love my FL9
  • i went for a maxon od9 as i was told it was basically an original ts-9 and its better i my opinion (hope when you talked about '9's you were including od?, don't want to look a tit here!:) )

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • i went for a maxon od9 as i was told it was basically an original ts-9 and its better i my opinion (hope when you talked about '9's you were including od?, don't want to look a tit here!:) )
    Yes, I was :)
  • Yes, I was :)

maxon are the dogs chuggers.....thats all i'll say lol

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • maxon are the dogs chuggers.....thats all i'll say lol
    I'm not on the hip new stuff...what'cha mean by that?
  • I'm not on the hip new stuff...what'cha mean by that?
    He's from Leeds. I can't understand him either. ;)
  • He's from Leeds. I can't understand him either. ;)
    Who does he think he is, Liam Gallagher from Oasis?
    (fun fact: My good friend is also named Liam Gallagher and we can understand him fine)