What should I get?

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
All right, most of you have seen my pedalboard or heard what is on it. I'm planning on getting another pedal. I don't know, however, which one to get. I don't think I need a volume too much. I am thinking about getting an analog delay. If I get one of these, should I get a BOSS DM-3 or the Ibanez AD9? I also have a moded rotovibe but I'm thinking about getting another rotary unit. I can't spend $200 though or more. I don't know exactly what else I want so if anyone has any neat ideas, please, lemme know. I like the sounds of Incubus(S.C.I.E.N.C.E, Morning View, Make Yourself), and of course, Pearl Jam (Ten-now).
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I may end up ditching my rotovibe for a separate chorus and vibe. You may like something like that.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Try looking for a used EHX Memory Man, Either Deluxe or Stereo (old or the new with Hazarai). Whatever you think might tickle your fancy. Think U2 on "Where the Streets Have No Name" for that type of analog sweetness. That might put you about $200.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I think a volume pedal is a good addition.
    Volume swells like RHCP Hard to Concentrate, or parts of the breakdopwn in Whole Lotta Love (done with a combined volume swell and descending slide) are very expressive.

Apart from that, I haven't really boarded the pedal train much. Maybe something groovy from ZVEX like an Oooh-Wah or summat ?? I lke the sound of those, I might get some at some stage.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I'm anxiously awaiting a trustworthy review of this little fella:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RE20-Space-Echo-DelayReverb-Pedal?sku=152267

I've played around with a few of the real deals, and they are freaking awesome. If the emulator is anywhere close to the same, then I'm all for it.

I've also wondered about this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-ToneCore-RotoMachine-Pedal?sku=150410

It's more of a Leslie-style rotary emulator, but it would be worth a try if there's a dealer near you.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I played that line 6 roto one and it sounded terrible. I don't know if it was broken or not but it sounded extremely cheap. I was VERY disappointed.
  • I've seen a lot of good about the Maxon AD-9s. They're on ebay for under $200
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • I'm anxiously awaiting a trustworthy review of this little fella:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RE20-Space-Echo-DelayReverb-Pedal?sku=152267

I've played around with a few of the real deals, and they are freaking awesome. If the emulator is anywhere close to the same, then I'm all for it.

Haha,,,, you may have just cost me a few hundred bucks! :D I've been meaning to pick one up, but haven't, but should.
    I played one in a shop and it was really really good, but I couldn't play it for long enough to finesse it.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • The problem I'm getting with the delay I have now is that when I play, it's not warm. You can actually hear the pick hitting the string and it's a LOUD popping noise. Is there a way I can get rid of this? Also, in many 2003 versions of Yellow Ledbetter, Mike use uses an effect at the end that gives somewhat of a swirling sound where the guitar is going out and in. I tried to get it with the rotovibe and even the Ibanez FL-9 analog Flange. I have NO IDEA how to get it. I tried using the BOSS rotary unit and had NO luck at all. Can SOMEONE PLEASE help me find this without getting a rotosphere!? I've been wanting that sounds for SO long.
  • Also, in many 2003 versions of Yellow Ledbetter, Mike use uses an effect at the end that gives somewhat of a swirling sound where the guitar is going out and in. I tried to get it with the rotovibe and even the Ibanez FL-9 analog Flange. I have NO IDEA how to get it. I tried using the BOSS rotary unit and had NO luck at all. Can SOMEONE PLEASE help me find this without getting a rotosphere!? I've been wanting that sounds for SO long.

This sounds a lot like Tremolo. Mike may have been using his Line 6 MM-4 Modulation Modeler, although it's hard to say. Most rotary effects are a combination of phaser/flanger with a tremolo. In fact, tremolo by itself can get very close to a mono rotary sound.

Haha,,,, you may have just cost me a few hundred bucks! I've been meaning to pick one up, but haven't, but should.
    I played one in a shop and it was really really good, but I couldn't play it for long enough to finesse it.

I saw one in person a few weeks ago, but didn't plug it in... too tempting. But it's on my short list, and it's about the only effect pedal I'm thinking of getting. The original Roland Space Echo tape units were unlike anything else out there... like an Echoplex or Memory Man, but with a vibe all its own. To get a solid emulation of that is just a dream come true... I wonder how it reacts when you adjust parameters in real time. If it comes close to the real thing on that criteria, I'd buy one now.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I saw one in person a few weeks ago, but didn't plug it in... too tempting. But it's on my short list, and it's about the only effect pedal I'm thinking of getting. The original Roland Space Echo tape units were unlike anything else out there... like an Echoplex or Memory Man, but with a vibe all its own. To get a solid emulation of that is just a dream come true... I wonder how it reacts when you adjust parameters in real time. If it comes close to the real thing on that criteria, I'd buy one now.

It was great with the knobs on the unit, but I didn't use the expression pedal with it, which I would definitely get, too.

That puts me to $300 bucks with pedal, I think!

Man, it was years ago when I had the original. GREAT sound but not really dependable on the road. When it worked, though, it was just like riding along on the way to Mars. :cool:

Good to see you, Dave!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • This sounds a lot like Tremolo. Mike may have been using his Line 6 MM-4 Modulation Modeler, although it's hard to say. Most rotary effects are a combination of phaser/flanger with a tremolo. In fact, tremolo by itself can get very close to a mono rotary sound.

I tried my tremolo setting on the rotovibe before and after the overdrive. I don't I thought it was close but it wasn't. With the chorus setting, before the overdrive (Amp-Roto-OD-guitar), I got a major phaser-type sound which was close but WAY too much phase in it. I don't know how else to describe the sounds.
  • This sounds a lot like Tremolo. Mike may have been using his Line 6 MM-4 Modulation Modeler, although it's hard to say. Most rotary effects are a combination of phaser/flanger with a tremolo. In fact, tremolo by itself can get very close to a mono rotary sound.

I bought the TR-2 by Boss and you were right! Thank you SOOOOOO much for finding the effect I've spent the better part of 3 years looking for!