Quick Capo question

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
In standard tuning, if I put a capo on the first fret, how should the notes read, correctly, on a chomatic tuner for E, A,D,G,B, and e?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    In standard tuning, if I put a capo on the first fret, how should the notes read, correctly, on a chomatic tuner for E, A,D,G,B, and e?

I don't know if your tuner does the sharp or flat notes, but here's what both would be.

E# (F)
    A# (Bb)
    D# (Eb)
    G# (Ab)
    C
    e# (F)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I don't know if your tuner does the sharp or flat notes, but here's what both would be.

E# (Fb)
    A# (Bb)
    D# (Eb)
    G# (Ab)
    C
    e# (Fb)

Close...

E# is F, not Fb. So, your tuner should read, from lowest to highest:

F
    A#
    D#
    G#
    C
    F

One quick tip: using a capo, I've had the best luck with tuning stability when I put the capo as high on the neck as possible, just behind the fret. So, if you're capo-ing the 1st fret, place the capo *right* behind the first fret, so the down-pressure on the strings against the fret is as tight as possible. I have much better luck keeping the tuning straight.

Also, it tends to be a little difficult to tune the guitar once a capo has been applied, since the capo tends to bind on the strings. Some capos are better than others, but I've not had great luck tuning with a capo applied.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Close...

E# is F, not Fb. So, your tuner should read, from lowest to highest:

F
    A#
    D#
    G#
    C
    F

One quick tip: using a capo, I've had the best luck with tuning stability when I put the capo as high on the neck as possible, just behind the fret. So, if you're capo-ing the 1st fret, place the capo *right* behind the first fret, so the down-pressure on the strings against the fret is as tight as possible. I have much better luck keeping the tuning straight.

Also, it tends to be a little difficult to tune the guitar once a capo has been applied, since the capo tends to bind on the strings. Some capos are better than others, but I've not had great luck tuning with a capo applied.

Haha. Brainfart on the Fb. Lo ciento amigo.

Your tips though for capo placement are spot on. Excellent tips.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Thanks a lot, everyone. I've heard that tip before but never knew why until now. Thanks for the info!!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy