BOSS DD-5 vs. BOSS DD-6

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I don't see the DD-5 anywhere and have only heard of it online. What's the difference between the DD-5 and DD-6. I have the DD_6 and a Digitech X-series digital delay. Out of the three mentioned, does anyone have any opinions?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    I don't see the DD-5 anywhere and have only heard of it online. What's the difference between the DD-5 and DD-6. I have the DD_6 and a Digitech X-series digital delay. Out of the three mentioned, does anyone have any opinions?

dd-6 just has more options. the dd-5 doesn't have tap tempo or reverse delay, and the dd-6 has longer possible delay time. i'm not sure if there are any other differences.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • The DD-5 did in fact have tap-tempo, but it required an external footswitch for a tap button, where the DD-6 has that function onboard.

Also, if I remember correctly, the DD-5 is a mono-input, where the DD-6 has stereo inputs.

They stopped making the DD-5, but you can still find them used. eBay is the easiest place to look.

From what I hear, the X-Series delay is pretty nice. I own a DD-6, so... eh. It's all just digital delay anyways.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    now here's a guy that's not around enough....... i mean mig above. sorry. not related to the original post.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    The reason that some people choose the DD-5 over the DD-6 is in fact the external tap tempo. The DD-6 doesn't even have an option for an external footswitch, and to activate it on the pedal you have to hold it down for two seconds, and then again to deactivate it. That can really be a pain in live situations, so with the DD-5 -> pedal switch gives delay on/off, external footswitch controls tap tempo. Easy, done.

Again though, the DD-6 has more options. I personally upgraded from a DD-6 to a DD-20 and have not had a single regret. The left and right pedals essentially serve the same purpose, although if you want you can add an external double switch to scroll through saved preset delays.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • I know the "You Are" effect is a drum machine however, can I use tap tempo to replicate it?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    no. delay won't work to do that effect. you need some sort of stutter effect similar to what morello does with the toggle switch. of course, it would have to be at your feet too.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    no. delay won't work to do that effect. you need some sort of stutter effect similar to what morello does with the toggle switch. of course, it would have to be at your feet too.

I have one on my GCP switcher. ;)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhausted wrote:
    How can I get that?
  • exhausted wrote:
    now here's a guy that's not around enough....... i mean mig above. sorry. not related to the original post.

Oh, I'm always around... lurking, more often than not, but I always check in. Just don't post as much as I used to.

As for a "stutter" effect, there's always a square-wave tremolo. The Line 6 Tap Tremolo does this pretty well, and it has an integrated tap tempo to get it in time.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Oh, I'm always around... lurking, more often than not, but I always check in. Just don't post as much as I used to.

As for a "stutter" effect, there's always a square-wave tremolo. The Line 6 Tap Tremolo does this pretty well, and it has an integrated tap tempo to get it in time.
    I have the TR-2. If I combine this with my delay and constatly step on the pedal, can I get the effect or something close? Also, I have NO idea how to get the distortion sound, it sounds too "tubey". I can't spend a billion dollars on the Sansamp either.