Line 6 MM4

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I am about to purchase a Line 6 MM4 mod pedal. I was wondering if anyone knows Mike's setting and anyones opinion. I would really appreciate it. I think it's the last pedal I will get unless someone can tell me how to get rid of any interferance or extra noise I have when I turn on pedals. Somtimes there is a loud hum which gets annoying. Thanks a lot
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Leo86Leo86 Posts: 165
    So I am about to purchase a Line 6 MM4 mod pedal. I was wondering if anyone knows Mike's setting and anyones opinion. I would really appreciate it. I think it's the last pedal I will get unless someone can tell me how to get rid of any interferance or extra noise I have when I turn on pedals. Somtimes there is a loud hum which gets annoying. Thanks a lot

If you want to get rid of extra noise, you could try a Boss Noise Suppressor pedal. I think MXR make one aswell. I havent tried one myself but I believe theyre meant to be very good.

Ive wanted a MM4 for awhile. Even without Mikes settings you should still be able to get lots of decent sounds from it. I suspect that youll get less noise from using this than a bunch of modulation pedals.
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07
  • Some people say they get a lot of noise from the Line 6 pedals, while others say they don't at all. If you do get some humming or hissing, as mentioned above you could try a noise gate but those can suck tone so beware of that.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    bear in mind, the MM4 has a volume drop on a good chunk of it's models when they're engaged. it's a flaw that lots of pedals have.

personally, i think deciding which 2 or 3 modulations you want, then buying individual pedals, is a better value.

it may cost more, but the effects will be of better quality.

but this was only my experience with it. the MM4 is on lots of pro boards so there you go.

and noise gates are the devil. focus on what you're powering your pedals with. and your cables.

what pedal exactly is making all the noise.
  • Leo86Leo86 Posts: 165
    exhausted wrote:
    bear in mind, the MM4 has a volume drop on a good chunk of it's models when they're engaged. it's a flaw that lots of pedals have.

personally, i think deciding which 2 or 3 modulations you want, then buying individual pedals, is a better value.

it may cost more, but the effects will be of better quality.

but this was only my experience with it. the MM4 is on lots of pro boards so there you go.

and noise gates are the devil. focus on what you're powering your pedals with. and your cables.

what pedal exactly is making all the noise.

sorry i didnt realise that noise gates were that bad. :o i havent used one, but i know people who theyve helped.

i agree that you're better off getting individual pedals - definatley better quality. you have to be careful not to go overboard though - keep it as simple as possible. the more pedals you have, usually you have more noise.
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07
    i've never found a noise gate that decays tastefully. that's my big issue with them. often times, they're destroy tone too. the boss NS-2 is guily of that. makes everything brittle and harsh.
  • Leo86 wrote:
    sorry i didnt realise that noise gates were that bad. :o i havent used one, but i know people who theyve helped.

i agree that you're better off getting individual pedals - definatley better quality. you have to be careful not to go overboard though - keep it as simple as possible. the more pedals you have, usually you have more noise.

I have about 15 pedals on my board so I am sure that's a big problem with the noise. Thanks a lot everyone
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Has anyone tried a BBE Sonic Maximizer? Would that control noise in addition to bringing out some of the tone that might be lost through other pedals?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    wouldn't do anything about a noise problem.
  • I have an MM4, i like it, but i dont use it often....lately ive been running just teh tubescreamer into the deluxe...occaisonally delay for a few songs but thats it. even my wah has been shelved! whats wrong!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19