How do I keep this in tune?

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey everyone. I have a few guitars but two in particular that I mainly use- An Epiphone SG Special and a Fender Strat Squier. Both sound great (especially the strat after having work done on the electronics and having five springs in the back for the whammy). Anyway, they are impossibly to keep in tune. Is there any 'homemade' way of doing somthing to them where they stay in tune longer? Also, is there a way I can make my fret board smoother? After playing for a while, my fingers stick to the strings/fret board which makes soloing difficult. Thanks a lot!
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey everyone. I have a few guitars but two in particular that I mainly use- An Epiphone SG Special and a Fender Strat Squier. Both sound great (especially the strat after having work done on the electronics and having five springs in the back for the whammy). Anyway, they are impossibly to keep in tune. Is there any 'homemade' way of doing somthing to them where they stay in tune longer? Also, is there a way I can make my fret board smoother? After playing for a while, my fingers stick to the strings/fret board which makes soloing difficult. Thanks a lot!

You could change the tuners if you haven't done that (considering they are a Squier and Epiphone that should be the first thing you do IMO)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • You could change the tuners if you haven't done that (considering they are a Squier and Epiphone that should be the first thing you do IMO)

Hey, thanks. I can just got oany store and just get new tunning knobs?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Talk to the tech at the store you go too, and they should have something.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • A big thing alot of people here, then forget is to make sure you have clean hands. After a while between the strings, frets, fretboard, and dirty hands, it can get a little sticky.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • A big thing alot of people here, then forget is to make sure you have clean hands. After a while between the strings, frets, fretboard, and dirty hands, it can get a little sticky.

I didn't know that. I'll wash my hands before I play now, thanks
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    A big thing alot of people here, then forget is to make sure you have clean hands. After a while between the strings, frets, fretboard, and dirty hands, it can get a little sticky.

there is nothing worse when guitar shopping than to have the first guitar one trys out have a fretboard and strings so gunked up that the fingers dont feel right on anything else played untill the hands can get washed.

i'll bet a lot of brands get bad reps because someone thinks they play like crap,and all it would take to change this is the shop owner to make some effort to keep the stock cleaned.
  • Hey everyone. I have a few guitars but two in particular that I mainly use- An Epiphone SG Special and a Fender Strat Squier. Both sound great (especially the strat after having work done on the electronics and having five springs in the back for the whammy). Anyway, they are impossibly to keep in tune. Is there any 'homemade' way of doing somthing to them where they stay in tune longer? Also, is there a way I can make my fret board smoother? After playing for a while, my fingers stick to the strings/fret board which makes soloing difficult. Thanks a lot!

along with changing the tuning pegs, put some graphite ( use a pencil ) in the groves of the nut. if that does not help, have a tech regroove or replace the nut all together. actually, you should replace the nut on those guitars anyway. i'd be willing to bet that this is a big part of your problem. also, for the sticky problems you are having... keep the strings clean and you could also try using fast fret.
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    Hey everyone. I have a few guitars but two in particular that I mainly use- An Epiphone SG Special and a Fender Strat Squier. Both sound great (especially the strat after having work done on the electronics and having five springs in the back for the whammy). Anyway, they are impossibly to keep in tune. Is there any 'homemade' way of doing somthing to them where they stay in tune longer? Also, is there a way I can make my fret board smoother? After playing for a while, my fingers stick to the strings/fret board which makes soloing difficult. Thanks a lot!
    stretch the string when you put them on. lay the guitar down and as your winding raise the string (like a tent) knocks out the slack and will keep strings in tune.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan