Marshall MG

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
What's wrong with the Marshall MG series???
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They sound like crap.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    They sound like crap.
    +1, i use one for my jazz band practice, with ust the vol. and bass on clean mode, but i would never use it in front of any crowd
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'm renting a MG50DFX right now. It's alright, but I'm positive there is much, much better out there for the price.

I'm looking into a Vox AD30VT modeling amp to save me some money in the long run, but I have to see how it sounds first.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I used an MG100 or MG80 as just a cab for my regular amp, it sounded all right I guess. I was thinking about getting the half stack though...
  • No! Do Not! Get A Tube Combo!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The value sucks. Some people like the tone, that's subjective really, I think the guy from Static X actually uses the 100 watt head because he likes it.

My gripe is with the quality. It's horrid. They completely trade on the Marshall name, the faceplates fall off, the metal is really thin, the components are shoddy, jacks and knobs fall off brand new amps... etc.

Even if you like the tone, you can find a much better amp for the money.

People buy it because it says Marshall and it has the gold aluminized face plate you can do a ton better for the money.

Check out the closed back Vox AD's for instance.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Can I use a Marshall head through an Orange or Fender, or even Vox cab?
  • Also, can I use a bassamp as a cab?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    do some googling around speaker impedances and amp output impedances. you need to match those properly. you can mix and match amps and cabs all you want so long as the load you give the amplifiers matches what it is designed for.

ie. your amp is designed with an 8ohm output. make sure you use a speaker arrangement with an impedance of 8 ohms.

some very basic circuit theory involved.