Flanger

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, does anyone know of any good Flanger pedals for a good price?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Boss BF-3 is ok. Go to http://www.musiciansfriend.com and see whats there, then try things out at your local shop.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I can tell you that I liked the MXR Stereo Flanger but it's too expensive for my taste. Give that a shot too.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I just said the BF-3 was OK. I don't really have a lot of experience with flangers.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I dont either...

Pac, exhausted any of you vets have something to teach me about Flange? :D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i personally hate the sound of flange so i've never owned one. no experience here.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i personally hate the sound of flange so i've never owned one. no experience here.
    yeah usually it annoys me but i've heard some beautiful use of it..

Rhinocerous by Smashing Pumpkins is a good one..

Adds a beautiful mechanical type background to the lead work. Very subtle.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally the sound was created by pushing a thumb against a tape reel in the studio.

Listen to Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz or Unchained by Van Halen. Classic Jet Plane (doppler effect) style flanging.

If you want to see perhaps the best one out there right now check out http://www.foxroxelectronics.com and see the TZF and listen to clips.

Van Halen used the black MXR flanger. I had an opportunity to buy one for 50 bucks, I could have sold it that day for 350 on Ebay, I played it, it worked, I decided something had to be wrong, so I didn't buy it, because I was stupid.

I bought a danelectro hashbrowns flanger for 29 bucks several years ago. It's fun, I wish it had a level control to bring it up to everything else but for 29 it's not bad. If you want just a cheap flange effect check out Dano's Psyco Flange it should be had for less than 30 bucks. Boss flangers are cool and may be had fairly cheap too. It just depends on what kind of sound you want.

ADA and MXR have basically the most popular Classic Flanges E H has the slightly less normal (it's EH duh) Electric Mistress, Ibanez came on with the maxon built (yellow TS808 and TS9 style cases) flanger in the late 70's and early 80's to compete. They also have a bigger box version I think in the same vein as the AD99 delay called the FL99 I think, but don't quote me.

Cheers, good luck.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I love Stone's live usage of it during Inside Job
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    As always, there's nothing wrong with the Ibanez 9-series. My FL-9 doesn't get used too often but when it does, it makes me happy. Plus, as the slutty girls say, four knobs are better than one.
  • I used to have the hashbrowns but it broke for some odd reason. My friend said the boss one was a good idea. I just wanted other people's opinions. Keep em' coming if you have any ideas. I just purchased a Fender Blender so I'll have a little while before I get the money to purchase a flange. I justt need ideas. THANKS!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy