Please help me with my pedal order...just kidding, bust seriously...

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
(Sorry GivenToCarve, I had to). Anyway, on a serious note, my friend MADE a bass(yes, cut the wood and everything) and was wondering a few things. First, does anyone have a preference to bass tuners and bass strings? We play out own stuff which is kinda mixed between Pearl Jam and incubus. Also, I heard something about linging the inside of a strat with tin foil to reduce hum. Has anyone heard of this? FINALLY (a pedal question), does anyone know why the Ibanez "5" series was halted?

*EDIT* I said "bust" instead of "but", sorry guys...
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bass tuners as in tuning machines.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    (Sorry GivenToCarve, I had to). Anyway, on a serious note, my friend MADE a bass(yes, cut the wood and everything) and was wondering a few things. First, does anyone have a preference to bass tuners and bass strings? We play out own stuff which is kinda mixed between Pearl Jam and incubus. Also, I heard something about linging the inside of a strat with tin foil to reduce hum. Has anyone heard of this? FINALLY (a pedal question), does anyone know why the Ibanez "5" series was halted?
    *EDIT* I said "bust" instead of "but", sorry guys...
    Tuners: Gotoh sealed tuners.
    No, not tin foil - you can use "Copper Shield Tape" or "Conductive Shielding Paint."
    Just go here: http://www.stewmac.com and you'll find the tuners and shielding.
    Strings: DR Strings (these strings are fantastic and sound better then most).
    Ibanez "5" series, No Idea, but I'm sure you can find out by doing a search or asking Ibanez.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Probably cause they suck! (no love for the five series :()
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    Probably cause they suck! (no love for the five series :()
    I love my TS-5...though I wouldn't stop on it like my BOSS pedals ;)
  • I'm pretty sure Sperzel makes a locking tuner for the bass. That would be the way I go. I stick with GHS nickle strings.

What's the pick-up combination, possible where the hum is coming from.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Also, I heard something about linging the inside of a strat with tin foil to reduce hum. Has anyone heard of this?
    It's ok to add shielding to your guitar but don't use foil. Use conductive paint or copper tape that you can connect to ground, that's a easy way to try fix the hum. There's a few things you can do to try to eliminate the problem.

What's the pick up combination? Have you checked if you are playing near any flourescent lights? If you are, switch them off for a sec see if it still happens (now i know that's obvious, but some people do not know that).
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    It's ok to add shielding to your guitar but don't use foil. Use conductive paint or copper tape that you can connect to ground, that's a easy way to try fix the hum. There's a few things you can do to try to eliminate the problem.

What's the pick up combination? Have you checked if you are playing near any flourescent lights? If you are, switch them off for a sec see if it still happens (now i know that's obvious, but some people do not know that).
    I didn't know that! And my room is florescent! Sweet. Where can I get copper tape? Any hardware store?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I didn't know that! And my room is florescent! Sweet. Where can I get copper tape?
    Ian's link : 'Just go here: http://www.stewmac.com and you'll find the tuners and shielding.'

Cheers.
    Sorry, started to reply, got distracted and paco has now already replied. Thanks.