A good danelectro?

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-Danelectro-Centurion-Guitar-tube-amp_W0QQitemZ130192736935QQihZ003QQcategoryZ118983QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't know Danos were this old! I'm thinkin about getting it as a back up amp or to use for blues. Any thoughts on this amp? I guess there's supposed to be a tube cage but I have no idea what that means.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Doesn't matter what it is their is a quality that can't be reproduced. If you got the cash looks like a great piece of history. A tube cage is a plate of metal or plastic that covers the tubes great feature if you ask me!
  • Tubes are all still readily available for it, that's important. If it hasn't been recapped it probably will have to be.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • If it could be compared to an amp of today, what kind would it sound like?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If it could be compared to an amp of today, what kind would it sound like?

difficult to say exactly, it's a solid wood cabinet more than likely not the MDF we have now so it's probably more resonant. tube tremolo (yeah I know it says vibrato, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it modifies volume not pitch so given the tube compliment, I'd say it sounds quite a bit like a tweed Deluxe with the single 12. though cleaner than fender not quite as much breakup.

It DEFINATELY needs a cap job. Interesting it's got the Ampeg speaker since Ampeg was up in New Jersey as well. Also It looks similar to the Ampeg Jets/Rockets of that Era. Same color scheme. Slightly different controls. it's not original so you could swap it out for something different without feeling bad about it. I'd like to hear it with an Alnico.

I'd be interested to see how it's wired to see if vibrato is available on both channels. Probably fairly clean and then a fendery tweed breakup. I bet you can use a splitter like the Barber Launch Pad to run them both at once.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/jet.htm

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/550300869.html

http://www.marksguitars.com/11%20Amps.htm -write up on this very amp.

http://www.danguitars.com/TheHistoryofDanelectro.html a little more about Danelectro.

also see Ampeg Mercury which was a little later, different tubes, but it has the blue diamond covering they are famous for.

Ampegs are generally known for thier cleans and their redonkulously awesome bass amps, but this little Danelectro while being clean will probably sound great with an od in front...or the aforementioned Launch Pad.... it just needs some cleaning, a cap job and some over all loving.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • just because it's old doesn't mean it's great.

just saying...
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • rigneyclan wrote:
    just because it's old doesn't mean it's great.

just saying...
    That's what I'm worried about. I might just save my money and get my guitars fixed up. I'm also not doing the best in college so I might lose the K Promise...I will NEED to save money...
  • What are you really wanting amp wise? That's the true question.

6v6's are killer for sure.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I LOVE the Hot Rod Deluxe. I'm going through a Fender Roc-Pro 700 combo and the line out goes to a Peavey TNT 130 bass amp(used as a cab and adds a HUG amount of low end to my sound). I'd kinda like to be able to switch to the Rod rod though, like use that for some songs.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Ha-ha, is there even such a thing as a good DANO (pedals, amps, whathaveyou) - I've always thought everything they made was crap :)
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • My milkshake chorus gives me a great "Univibe" sim(for those Mike McCready solos...except you have to play as well as him and I'm...let's just say Mike is better than I am ;) )
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    honestly, in the position you're in I'd say don't get it. It's going to be a little more hassle than you really need at this point.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    honestly, in the position you're in I'd say don't get it. It's going to be a little more hassle than you really need at this point.
    Yes, I agree...*tear* I'll save up a bit
  • Just because something's old and from the 60's or 50's doesn't mean it's great.
    (Who's_pearljam? excluded of course! :D )

Danelectro was never a high end company and had a lot of student grade stuff. When you buy old amps like that off Ebay, or anywhere for that matter, it's high risk because you have no idea what it sounds like and that amp you were looking at may have sounded great, or may have been a clunker.

For old amps, my favorites are the old Gibson Br series from the 40's and 50's. They were good quality and you can pick them up for pretty decent prices. They were simple, and if they need a few parts then it's worth it to put a few bucks in to get them singing.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan