Is it an effect or what?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    tweed

the 50s era fender amps were covered in tweed and were generally simple circuits that sounded very good.

so, a tweedesque amp, whether it's actually covered in tweed or not, is based on these good ole timey amps.

or it's what professors make their coats out of.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Yup, it refers to the basic amp covering, but also has to do with the amps SOUND. click here: Tweed Amp Covering
    Here's a quick comparison read for you: Blackface vs. Tweed Amps
    Personally I'd rather use OD pedals with a Blackface.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    interesting article.

and pretty much spot on though i personally wouldn't be so hard on the blackface sound.

however, as the long time user of a blackface deluxe with varying gain pedals, the tweed deluxe i built myself was quite a shock as it does indeed pretty much transcend pedals.

however, the blackface has it's sweet spot, at around 6 or so on the volume, where it shines on it's own and doesn't really need anything else either. and it's shitloads louder that it's tweed counterpart but that's a function of other things.
  • All right, I kind of understand, thank you. Now, are the Fender "Blonde" amps tweed of not?
    are you talking the vintage ones or the recent reissues?

the old blonde ones were the same as the early 60s "brownface" amps which were different again.

tweed -> brownface -> blackface -> silverface

were the eras for different aesthetics and circuits from the 50s through the 70s.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html#amps
  • This is a tweed covered Fender amp, right?

NewGuitar005.jpg
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    All right, I kind of understand, thank you. Now, are the Fender "Blonde" amps tweed of not?

it depends really as it's just a tolex covering but generally we are refering to circuits everything else is already here, so I'll just comment a bit on the modern stuff. A blonde is essentially the early 60's brownface variety when they started using tolex (This era is famous for it's brilliant tremolo called vibrato on blackface amplifiers but it modulates volume and not pitch). For the Hot Rod series, everything is the same it's just aesthetics but the idea was to cop some of those tones out of that series and also add drive channels. I'll say they got some of it right and other people have improved the rest of the amp, but the Hot Rod series (especially with good tubes and better speakers) does give you that nice round brown face clean a little more headroom than was available in the tweed amps due to the higher rated speakers and different circuitry.

If you want a modern blonde amp you would look to the custom shop and the old blonde vibrokings (a little different and darker than the new blackface versions) or the tone master head. The VK, has the tube driven Fender reverb tank onboard and the brownface tremolo with some fattening circuitry that the custom shop likes to add sometimes.

The new Vibrolux is also a Custom Shop amp in design anyway as it deviates from the original "blackface" circuit a bit. That's why the reissue is called the Custom Vibrolux.

The blonde and tweed blues/pro jr's (etc) are completely different animals as they are based around EL84 power tubes and modern circuits with I would assume fender tone stacks. (you can do quite a bit with different EQ circuits and the upgraded low wattage alnico speakers in the tweed BJ's can make it sound distinctively more loose and gritty like a tweed amp)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    This is a tweed covered Fender amp, right?

NewGuitar005.jpg

correct. Looks like a custom shop relic blues jr. Sitting next to a lovely les paul classic.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    correct. Looks like a custom shop relic blues jr. Sitting next to a lovely les paul classic.

The two sound very nice together. :)

That amp is fkn loud.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    This is a tweed covered Fender amp, right?

NewGuitar005.jpg

yes, but not a "tweed" amp per se.

however, the relicing looks awesome and blues jrs are fun.
  • I swear the tweed over the black tolex just allows things to breathe better!!!! Just kidding, or am I?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    I swear the tweed over the black tolex just allows things to breathe better!!!! Just kidding, or am I?

well, if the cabinet is a solid hardwood construction like Pine.... it certainly changes the resonance.
  • Thank you all very much. I appreciate the explanations.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
  • Gene and Tony Iommi were jamming together on "Rock School" and that ruled.