Hybrid

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Most of you know I'm a sucker for tube hybrid's (Having a Fender roc pro 700). I know of the Marshall AVT's, as well but can anyone suggest a good tube hybrid, since I am interested in getting another to compliment the Roc Pro. Also, are there any SINGLE channel amps out there that are under $300 and still good? Thanks a lot, everyone.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I've always really liked Musicman amps, which are a hybrid amp with a tube power section and a solid-state preamp.

As for a $300 single-channel amp... you should be able to find a Sovtek Mig 50 or Mig 60 for that price, or a Sovtek Midget for that matter. If you're okay with a combo, the Peavey Classic 20 and Classic 30 are great. To get within your price range, you'll have to find them used (the Sovteks aren't made anymore anyways).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Hybrid . . . I've heard some really good things about these amps: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-112-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483066
    I'd go with the 2X12 or Head/Cab (more air movement). Though I'm not a fan of line-6, I really like Reinhold Bogner's amps.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Ian: I like the idea of a Line 6 but it's a little more than I can spend. I'm gonna try ebay.

McCreadyisgod: I can't find any musicman amp anywhere. I'll check ebay for the Sovtek
  • Ahh, some of those look too rich for my blood. I saw a Kustom HV65. Any thoughts on those?
    Ahh, some of those look too rich for my blood. I saw a Kustom HV65. Any thoughts on those?

You seem to really like the tube-preamp hybrid, which I don't really care for. I'm not knocking your taste, I just can't really make an honest evaluation for you. I pretty much require power tubes, so the Music Man amps are the only hybrid that I can personally get into. Wish I could help you further, but that's the extent of my experience.
    You seem to really like the tube-preamp hybrid, which I don't really care for. I'm not knocking your taste, I just can't really make an honest evaluation for you. I pretty much require power tubes, so the Music Man amps are the only hybrid that I can personally get into. Wish I could help you further, but that's the extent of my experience.
    +1 - Sorry, but I can't help much either - I prefer all tube, not just preamp tubes (which honestly doesn't really
    effect the so-called hybrid amps tone). Those amps aren't really tube amps (like the AVT), so the 12AX7 tube(s)
    in those don't really get much volts - just like the Vox Tone Lab with the lights behind the tubes (which make the
    tubes look like they're glowing when they're really not). Just a suggestion, but if you're into having tubes in your
    amp, maybe you should save a little bit more so you can just get a real tube amp (make sense) :D
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Hybrid . . . I've heard some really good things about these amps: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-112-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483066
    I'd go with the 2X12 or Head/Cab (more air movement). Though I'm not a fan of line-6, I really like Reinhold Bogner's amps.

I have the Line 6 Spider 2 X12. You could not ask for a better mix of modern modeling and traditional power section. It has 12 amp models that sound great. It also sounds good with a tubescreamer plugged into the front end. I get really good SRV tones. Let me know if there is anything you would like to know.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    ianvomsaal wrote:

I heard the demo of this amp in Guitar Worlds CD ROM thingy and hated the tone. Wasn’t what I expected at all. I think Line 6 is a company that is first to market with a lot of things and with some tweaking his will be a good amp, just not right now……for my ears

I play a Line 6 Flextone III and love it. Took me a little bit to dial in a good tone but I found it and haven’t changed in years. Line 6 isnt for everyone, you have to want a modeling amp. For me I needed something decent and loud for around $700. This was perfect for me. People knock it because its not a “true” tone like Marshall and whatnot. My response has always been “its music, its depends what you want”.

I hang out with metalheads and they ALL use the same gear. Les Paul and a Marshall JCM 800.

So predictable. The guitar is a big part of the sound too. Pickups and whatnot. I play through a hot rodded Strat and when I roll the volume back it cleans up great. That’s the best feature to me
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    You know what? I played one of these Fender roc pro 700s. Im pretty sure that’s what it was. The singer in my old band bought one for his son, and instead of me lugging my amp to practice Id just use this one. These are cheap right? Like under $300 brand new?
  • Ballgame: Yeah, they're pretty cheap, but I don't think under 300 new is correct...more used, I think. Also, I noticed metalheads use the same gear, too, haha.

Ian: I've played tube amps, I almost bought a hot rod deluxe(old dream amp of mine). I'm just not looking for a tube amp. I beat the hell out of my gear and I'm just afraid I'd be replacing tubes the whole time. I do know that, in the case of the roc pro 700, the tube is used and pushed when the drive channel is on. i had my amp taken apart when I was playing through it and the 12ax7 was glowing like a Christmas tree when I played.

McCready and Ian: Hey, it's totally cool, everyone' got their preference and mine is a little obscure. I LOVE the tube sound and wanted it for a long time until I realized how much I liked my own hybrids sound (I guess while waiting to get a tube amp and using what I had, I just got used to and fell in love with it). I appreciate all the help you've given. I don't know when I'd be able to get an amp, since college is starting up in a month, but I'm on the look out for one before the end of 2008.

Westsidepie: I tried out a Line6 a while ago (totally forgetting it was kinda like the one Ian recommended) and I just wasn't into the sound. If I have all the options, I'm going to go crazy and want to use them all, haha. I gotta be limited a bit.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    what about the old Ernie Ball Music Man amps.

Were they hybrids? I can't quite remember. I know they are very popular with indie groups and punk bands. I've seen a lot of people using EBMM's with fuzz factories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Man_(company)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    what about the old Ernie Ball Music Man amps.

I suggested that earlier in the thread...

The Music Man amps were made back when Leo Fender still ran the company, and were discontinued once Ernie Ball purchased the rights to the name. So far as I know, anyways...

And yes, they were hybrid amps, but the opposite type of hybrid amp from what he's looking for. He's specifically looking for a tube preamp with solid-state power section, and the Music Man amps were solid-state preamp with a tube power section.

I thought these guys were supposed to be a hybrid amp, with a tube preamp and a MOSFET power section:

http://www.mackie.com/products/hotwire/index.html
  • I suggested that earlier in the thread...

The Music Man amps were made back when Leo Fender still ran the company, and were discontinued once Ernie Ball purchased the rights to the name. So far as I know, anyways...

And yes, they were hybrid amps, but the opposite type of hybrid amp from what he's looking for. He's specifically looking for a tube preamp with solid-state power section, and the Music Man amps were solid-state preamp with a tube power section.

I thought these guys were supposed to be a hybrid amp, with a tube preamp and a MOSFET power section:

http://www.mackie.com/products/hotwire/index.html

Try Randall amps for the tube pre solid state power section hybrids. Here is a page of them from Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c622--Randall--Guitar_Amps
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I could sell you my Traynor (but it's all tube ;))
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    I could sell you my Traynor (but it's all tube ;))
    haha, yeah. I tried a Traynor the earlier, actually, a couple. Couldn't tell you what kind but if I was in the market for a tube amp, I'd be interested in them
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I totally forgot about the new modular randalls, that's probably worth trying and I've pretty much loved a lot of what mackie has done lately although that might be more than you want to spend. Cool concept though.

If I could have any reasonably priced PA speaker right now and had a real use for them the Mackies would be it.

For the record, try the Music Man anyway if you can find one. and or look into the Tone Bone pedals and other tube pedals from say Budda and Soldano and if you're just wanting to spend money Matchless. Chandler tube driver etc.

I'd say stage hog but the wait list is pretty long.

I think you'd be pretty down with Sovtek. They've taken a beating over the years and seem to keep surviving.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I totally forgot about the new modular randalls, that's probably worth trying and I've pretty much loved a lot of what mackie has done lately although that might be more than you want to spend. Cool concept though.

If I could have any reasonably priced PA speaker right now and had a real use for them the Mackies would be it.

For the record, try the Music Man anyway if you can find one. and or look into the Tone Bone pedals and other tube pedals from say Budda and Soldano and if you're just wanting to spend money Matchless. Chandler tube driver etc.

I'd say stage hog but the wait list is pretty long.

I think you'd be pretty down with Sovtek. They've taken a beating over the years and seem to keep surviving.
    I like the Sovtek's but finding one that won't break the bank is the tough part
  • PJim87PJim87 Posts: 18
    I have a old peavey deuce vt series that i play. And at first i didnt care for it, but i like it alot now. It grew on me. Its 120 watt, solid state pre amp with tube post. Think it has 4 6l6 tubes. 2 channels, ( clean, and effects) with reverb and a phaser on board. pretty nice amp and it can crank when it wants to. Think ya can get these cheap to (believe my dad paid like 200-250 for christmas). I was really considering trading it and my crate rfx 200s in and getting like a blues deluxe or a blues junior. But i am seriously thinking of keeping the peavey and getting a blues junior and runnin them both.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    JACKPOT!!!! my jeep broke down so I need to fix it...I dunno when I'll have funds ::(