Blown speaker in a bass amp

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
My genius friend decided to blow his black widow speaker in a bass amp he's paying me off for. Now I normally wouldn't be salty about this BUT we're all strapped for cash AND we have our VERY FIRST SHOW coming up in about three weeks. Now the tear goes all the way through and I was wondering if there's any quick fix to this before the show so we can at least play. Of course, we're going to replace it but at the moment, we can't go out and buy anther 15 inch black widow speaker. Can anyone help me figure out how to do a quick fix? We have two practices before the show...and then the show on April 5th.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    well, it's tough to say really depending on what's wrong with it. You could look for a recone kit or something like that.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I hate when that happens! Done that a few times.
    It depends where the tear is. If it's in the surface of the cone, try clear silicone RTV caulk. It stays flexible and it's pretty strong. Put a little bit on each side of the tear and let it cure before you play it. Maybe a day.
    A little tube of that stuff is good to have in your road kit for emergencies like that.
    That's the guaranteed way to potentially possibly maybe kind of get you through the show. :D
    I've seen it work on the rippled surround around the speaker cone, too.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Like the other guys said, it really depends on what was damaged. If it is literally just a tear in the speaker cone, then you can glue it back like Bob suggested. You can also use superglue, but you have to be very careful and very fast. Silicone, like Bob suggested, is more forgiving.

If, however, you blew the voice-coil or spider, then the speaker needs a complete re-cone. That said, a re-cone would cost less than a brand-new replacement speaker from Peavey. You might see if any of the audio repair or live-sound companies around you offer re-coning.

Other than that, you might see if a local music shop would rent you a bass amp or just a bass speaker cab for the show.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    We're gonna get it reconed eventually but I just bought a new speaker. Hoepfully this is the actual speaker...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220192881591&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy